Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 lag and graininess of images on iPhone app

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CordThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just received the 4 pack of Arlo Pro 2 cameras.   I connected everything and all 4 cameras demonstrate very long lag (from movement to display on iPhone app) and poor image quality.   My network details are below.   I connected / installed everything with defaults - video optimized for quality.

The lag I experience is nearly 30 seconds from movement to seeing it on the iPhone app.   Holding the camera towards my face at arms length it was considerably pixelated (no comments about the camera not liking what it saw). 

I put 3 of the cameras away disappointed.  I have one camera online and it currently looks great; waiting to do a bit of lag testing.

The base station is roughly 20 feet away through 1 plaster wall.   I walked the camera to the same room roughly 5 feet from the station and had similar experience.

I have a Netgear Orbi router and satellite (2.2 GBps).   The network is hardly saturated.  I don't stream video and rarely music - i certainly wasn't at the time I was testing the cameras.

We have AT&T Fibre with a over 500 MBps up/down regularly.   

What can I do to troubleshoot.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Perhaps try each of the cameras (with the others turned off) after you finish your testing with the one on-line one.

CordThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you -- I think the fundamental problem was that i was trying to look at video from all 4 cameras at once.  I have now deployed the 4 cameras to their ultimate location which are as far as 30 feet away and 2+ walls separating the camera from the station and all appears to be okay.   I did test the video modes and only "Best Video" under power management work well for me.   Best battery life and optimized do not work well.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CordThomas wrote:

Thank you -- I think the fundamental problem was that i was trying to look at video from all 4 cameras at once. 

Unfortunately the apps and web client don't support that feature.

@CordThomas wrote:

I did test the video modes and only "Best Video" under power management work well for me.   Best battery life and optimized do not work well.

I only use "Best Video" myself.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation