Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone here can recommend an alternative to Arlo that actually works?

After numerous attempts to get my hub from going offline when I need it most, several open cases, repeating the same procedures over and over and over and over, and even having replaced the hub with a new one, there’s no solution for the fact that my cameras go offline when I need them.

Arlo system is garbage and not fixable. I have cancelled my subscription but failed to get my money back. I will try Better Business Bureau.

In the meantime looking to replace this garbage with Ring. Anyone have any other suggestion for replacement, I welcome any recommendations.

14 REPLIES 14
Dannybear
Master
Master
I wonder if the base is actually going offline, what are the LEDs showing when it occurs?

What user interface is being used? Arlo web portal or a mobile app?

Do you still get push notifications and recordings in the library?
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant
The base is not going offline. According to my network it recognizes the base as being on line.

The LED continues to be blue.

I am using mobile app. But I can’t see my cameras even on the portal.

I am convinced it's a software issue.

Nothing has changed on my network, name, hardware— nothing.

The only thing I have done is update the app when a new release is issued.

Anyhow, Arlo hasn’t been helpful and I have since cancelled my subscription. I am shopping for a new system. Probably Ring. No hub. No issues. Arlo is crap. Period.
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh, and no I do not get notifications or recordings.
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you’re using a VPN this would need to be disabled when trying to use the local network and wifi is my understanding.
Does it work if the phone is forced to cellular?
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Don’t have it use a VPN. Never have. Also, cellular or WiFi does not matter. Once it’s offline it’s completely out. From all devices and from portal, too.

When I leave the house I leave a note to any potential intruder to please reset my hub so I can see them. That’s where this is headed.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Does your property suffer from regular mains supply outages, just thinking that the base is not recovering properly. That is the router modem is taking longer to boot than the arlo Base station. Some users have reported this in the past.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
Does your property suffer from regular mains supply outages, just thinking that the base is not recovering properly. That is the router modem is taking longer to boot than the arlo Base station. Some users have reported this in the past.

@Mbiondo: If you do have frequent power outages, then using a UPS to maintain power to the router and base (and modem if you have one) might be the best option.  That would keep the system running when the mains power fails.

Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nope.  Haven't had an outage at my property in three or four years.  

I don't want to be overly rude here, but I am 100% certain the problem isn't with my WiFi, power, or any other device.  In fact, all my other devices (the same devices I have had for years) have never gone offline or stopped working.  

The only thing-- I mean, the only thing-- that has stopped working correctly is Arlo.  Something in the last one or two software updates has caused this malfunction.  

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you’re still interested you could try power cycling the base station daily, this is what I have previously done using a smart plug on the base station using a schedule.
What I found was that the base station would lockup every few days.
Do you have a USB stick installed for storage, try removing this to see if it resolves the issue.
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do have a usb installed. I will remove it and see if that does the trick.

Just in the last hr while home, was working and just now it’s offline. No power outage, no one but me at home. No other device online except my phone. And just like that, it goes offline.

Regarding a smart plug. I have one on order. It’s the only solution I know since when I’m away and Arlo goes offline I have no way of powering on/off. A smart plug will at least give me the ability to reset from afar.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have been where you are and have smart plugs on both base stations and the Ac powered cameras as they all play up from time to time.
Some other things that may help is to fix the base MAC address to an IP address in your router so the base does not need to rely on the router dhcp.
Also fix the router wifi channel to one that is quiet, the base will match.
The base does have a manual restart feature within the app but pointless if it is offline.
Shame you need third party software and equipment to make arlo reliably work.
Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I got my smart plug over the weekend and that was a total disaster.  Arlo does not like being connected to a smartplug.  I use iDevices, so I ordered one.  The base now goes offline within 20 minutes.  Reset, 20 minutes later offline again.  So smartplug is not a solution.

But that made me think, the base is normally plugged to a powerstrip/surge protector.  Even though that did not cause the problem for two years, the smartplug made me think that something in the power supply could be the colprit.  

So, now I have plugged directly to a wall socket.  Working for 24 hours w/out going offline.  Too early to tell, since the base typically goes offline somewhere between 24 and 48 hours.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mbiondo wrote:

But that made me think, the base is normally plugged to a powerstrip/surge protector.  Even though that did not cause the problem for two years, the smartplug made me think that something in the power supply could be the culprit.  

Was the iDevice also plugged into the surge protector?  Or was it plugged into the same wall socket you are using now?

I am wondering if the Arlo power adapter simply isn't fitting securely into the surge protector (or iDevice) socket, or if maybe the power strip is failing.

Mbiondo
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, the iDevices smartplug was plugged separately and not with the same surge protector.  I moved the Hub to be on its own.  Now I simply removed the smartplug and connected directly to the wall socket.  

The surge protector in and of itself is working properly.  The TV and an amp are connected to it and have had it for 10+ years.  

One of these, whether the components themselves or the surge protector, may be the culprit.  Although, like I said, it was working fine there for 2 years and then it did not.  

36 hours w/out disruption... keeping my fingers crossed.  

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation