Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sussexdude1
Star
Star

Over the last two days my home station seems to change my time zone at midnight every day, this being a huge pain when scanning back over recordings. I have tried resetting on Arlo web site, iPad and iPhone but midnight strikes time zone changes again. HELP !

1,067 REPLIES 1,067
arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with a senior tech manager who told me this problem is prioritzed to the hghest level and they are working around the clock to fix it. Apparently, a rollback to an earlier rev of firmware is not possible but he pulled the logs from my base and is walking them over to the engineers so they can decontruct and figure out what the heck is going on. Will update you guys when  hear more.

csalev3
Aspirant
Aspirant
I want an arlo pro cam when this is all said and done. Lucky nothing’s happened that would have got missed by because of this issue
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without an Internet connection, nothing is going to work. Right now your best option is to open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Another possibility is to buy another base, remove everything from Settings, My Devices and use the new base. If you do this, make sure you have a return privilege if this also fails.

Cara7175
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Shayne (moderator)

If you read through people's reports you will see that the offline error isn't just an app error, it is the actual base station itself going offline and not operating.  it doesn't matter if you log on via a desktop, i-phone, ipad, android phone, laptop etc etc.  It is not the app.  The base station itself regularly loses connectivity with the Arlo server.  The base station also changes the time zone back to the default one randomly for no reason what-so-ever.

John-Paul
Guide
Guide

arlo doesnt have a fix for this?

@Cara7175 wrote:

Hi Shayne (moderator)

If you read through people's reports you will see that the offline error isn't just an app error, it is the actual base station itself going offline and not operating.  it doesn't matter if you log on via a desktop, i-phone, ipad, android phone, laptop etc etc.  It is not the app.  The base station itself regularly loses connectivity with the Arlo server.  The base station also changes the time zone back to the default one randomly for no reason what-so-ever.

@Cara7175 wrote:

Hi Shayne (moderator)

iratenate
Tutor
Tutor
Erock218
Guide
Guide
I just returned my Arlo Pro 2 kit because I couldn't take it anymore and got the Nest IQ outdoor Cam and let me just say that this is a way better security system so far. More expensive but worth it if you want something to work.
Adrian_
Initiate
Initiate

What is the point of security system which is not working.
At this moment this system is useless.
When we will receive a solution of this issues? 

lewis76
Star
Star
Gotta agree with you. I use these in an office an the inconsistencies are mindboggling. I have friends that have Nest and do not have these reoccurring problems like we have had. This is not the first time the timezone issue has reared its head. Netgear needs to get these issues hammered out. Maybe a class action lawsuit would change things. I'm tired of this unreliable garbage.
adodge
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am fighting with my EXPENSIVE Arlo Pro 2 Cameras (four of them) to get them to record reliably. For the past two weeks or so, I check my videos in the morning, and realize that it did not record during the night, even when I can confirm there was motion. I reset the Base Station, and the cameras start recording again. Some days, I'll look at the videos and the timestamps will be off. After looking at the settings, the time zone was changed somehow. I have had these cameras for about 9 months now, and they have worked perfectly. Whatever software update that happened in the last two weeks has seriously screwed up the system. I used to praise this system, and actually got some of my friends to purchase the identical system, but these headaches will cause me to look at other products. FIX YOUR SH*T NETGEAR.

dannyb2100
Apprentice
Apprentice

Was just about to post a rant about this! Has been happening lots! I was wondering what caused it after having reset the timezone back several times...

I've been thinking of getting rid of this Arlo due to the untold amounts of problems we have been having....My friend has Nest and they've not had a single issue with their system! 

lothi
Aspirant
Aspirant

To repeat what has been said already: The cause of the problem is not that the system changes the time-zone once in a while.

Instead, the basestation looses its connection to the internet frequently (beforehand, it produces many packet errors on the connection). As a result of being disconnected, the Arlo basestation is not recording and finally reboots. After reboot, it is connected to the internet again (and sometimes overwrites the time zone). 

There are other threads that complain about the frequent rebooting. It is a major problem, indeed. And what is annoying, that despite of the many complains, no one appears to watch the community threads. 

vizsla4084
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did just notice what is probably the reboot issue now. I could not connect via the app to any camera for a "live" stream. The clips in the library were not updating either.

When I looked at the base, the left and right lights were green but the middle light was off. 

Shortly after , the lights went out. a few minutes later the lights started changing from yellow to green and finally all three were green.

Well, when it DID finally connect, the Timezone was back to Pacific Time instead of Eastern time ... AGAIN.

Question - Is there somewhere that indicates "uptime" of the base, to comfirm a reboot , this time or in the future? If you are not sitting in front of teh lights, where can you check the last reboot time / status of the base?

Thanks to the Community. ............. Thanks for nuthin' , so far , to Arlo Support .   

vizsla4084
Apprentice
Apprentice

For what it is worth, I have noticed the batteries draining more quickly also. This seems to have started, for me, around the same time taht I started having the base reboot issue, and more specifically, the ongoing issue with the base switching the Time Zone from Eastern  (for me ) and resetting back to teh apparent default of PAcific Time ( U.S.) .

bketchel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Doesn't make sense that they can't push out an update that would be a rollback to a stable firmware. Almost all equipment with flashable ROM can be reverted. We have had to submit videos to the police for neighbor problems and dog problems (getting chased through my own yard by a neighborhood pit bull). Like a previous poster said-very difficult to use for proof to police when the time stamps aren't right.  Getting time changes multiple times a day, sometimes it's not recording when I know there was motion. Not much security in this "security" camera.

Dannybear
Master
Master
I think that Arlo has now got a good idea of how many base stations will need replacement. Only headache will be when they get the firmware to stop breaking them.
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Hello we have tried 2 different base stations maybe 3 I have forgotten at this point. Many different Ethernet cables and 2 different routers. We have other security cameras that are always working and other devices connected to the internet. At least 2 different Arlo Pro base stations- this one brand new from amazon is going offline at least 5 or so times a day. Maybe more. Sometimes it comes back online by itself. Other times I have to unplug it and then plug it back in again. We have had Arlo Pro for 2 years and ever had this problem. It started after the update that made everything crazy. I just got a notice in my app I got a free year of arlo smart premier. Well that’s pretty useless -because I already just prepaid for that service for one year a few month ago. What I would like is a camera that does at the least what it is advertised to do. And not go offline 5 times a day. Is there any kind of announcement from arlo to assure people they are aware of this issue and are working on it ?
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Hello we have tried 2 different base stations maybe 3 I have forgotten at this point. Many different Ethernet cables and 2 different routers. We have other security cameras that are always working and other devices connected to the internet. At least 2 different Arlo Pro base stations- this one brand new from amazon is going offline at least 5 or so times a day. Maybe more. Sometimes it comes back online by itself. Other times I have to unplug it and then plug it back in again. We have had Arlo Pro for 2 years and ever had this problem. It started after the update that made everything crazy. I just got a notice in my app I got a free year of arlo smart premier. Well that’s pretty useless -because I already just prepaid for that service for one year a few month ago. What I would like is a camera that does at the least what it is advertised to do. And not go offline 5 times a day. Is there any kind of announcement from arlo to assure people they are aware of this issue and are working on it ?
NotSatisfied
Guide
Guide
Similar problem here... Base station periodically loses connection to internet and cameras and reverts to the wrong - probably default - timezone. Despite some messages in this thread indicating Arlo is working on it, it would be reassuring if someone from Arlo would post a message to this thread to let us know what they're doing. Just searched the web for sales on Nest and Ring products.
theITrebel
Guide
Guide

They rolled back a couple weeks ago. Technically, it wasn’t a rollback though since they changed the version number to be higher even though they used old code. Then again, who knows if that was even the truth.

ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Yes I am still having problem with the base going offline several 5 or more times every day. Sometimes it will stay disconnected usually for around 30 minutes maybe and then it can reconnect. Other times it would be offline for hours. Some items I unplug the power cord and then reconnect it again and it will come back online. This keeps happening for @ over a week now. This is the second base station doing this. This is a brand new one and second router.
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
We are using iOS app. With Arlo Pro base station. But when the base is offline I see that the middle light on the base station is out. So it’s not an app error. It’s the base station with no internet light even though all our other devices connect to the internet fine. The right and left light on the base are green. Only the middle light is not lit.
Dearjohn012
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone should contact the news media and warn Arlo customers of the danger.

Can you imagine getting robbed and your camera isn't working?

This company fully knows the problem and refuses to fix it asap! Irresponsible. 

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Base station just went offline again and I did a manual reboot. What are you constantly doing? This is NOT a bug IMHO, what they do is frequently throwing off a few 100,000 subscribers to take the load off the servers, AREN'T YOU, HUH?

HBBrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

The timestamp on our CVR recordings is showing as one hour ahead, despite the correct time zone being selected on the base station.  I have reset the base station and it still has not been resolved.  We are in Los Angeles and have Pacific Time selected.