Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 connect to exisiting wifi network to extend range

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Rustus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Team,

I have just purchased an Alro Pro 2 system (Base + 5 cams) and I want to connect it to my existing wifi network which is quite extensive for our small business, we have a 3 story building and it seems that the camera struggles with the distance at present, when I purchased the product yesterday the sales rep told me that you could configure the Arlo Pro 2 to connect and use our existing corporate wifi network rather than just using the base station wifi which has a limited range, but I dont seem to be able to find a way to do this - any assistance that you could offer would be appreciated - thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@Rustus

If I understand you correctly, the salesman either did not know what he was talking about, did not understand your situation or lied to you.

The Arlo Wire Free, Pro and Pro2 models require the hub to be able to work. The hub connects to your internet through an ethernet cable the rebroadcasts to the cameras via a different frequency determined by Arlo. You can not simply plug the cameras directly to the internet.

If range is a problem, you can purchase more base stations, (there is no limit to the number of base stations you can use), and divide up the cameras among them, but each base station will need to physically connect to the internet through an ethernet cable. This could mean running wires to the base station from your router/switches,  using inline plugs, wifi extenders or a wifi mesh network.

Brian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@Rustus

If I understand you correctly, the salesman either did not know what he was talking about, did not understand your situation or lied to you.

The Arlo Wire Free, Pro and Pro2 models require the hub to be able to work. The hub connects to your internet through an ethernet cable the rebroadcasts to the cameras via a different frequency determined by Arlo. You can not simply plug the cameras directly to the internet.

If range is a problem, you can purchase more base stations, (there is no limit to the number of base stations you can use), and divide up the cameras among them, but each base station will need to physically connect to the internet through an ethernet cable. This could mean running wires to the base station from your router/switches,  using inline plugs, wifi extenders or a wifi mesh network.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only arlo camera that hooks directly into your own wifi, is the Q or Q plus. ( and also Baby Arlo )

( they do not use a base )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Rustus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you TomMac! Appreciate it!

Rustus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Brian... appreciate it!