Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 charging brick is not compatible with Arlo Pro camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GSL1959
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased two Arlo Pro 2 cameras to add to my current system that includes three Arlo Pro cameras. I was very disappointed to find that the charging brick included with the Arlo Pro 2 is not compatible with the Arlo Pro cameras. The original Arlo Pro charging brick, however, is able to charge my new Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

I chatted with Arlo Support about this. First of all, the rep gave me bad information, saying that the batteries on the Pro and Pro 2 cameras are not interchangeable. But when I looked at the batteries myself, I found that they are exactly the same model and specs.

More disappointing is that when I asked if I could be sent an extra charging brick for the Arlo Pro so that I could charge either the Pro or Pro 2 cameras with it, my request was refused. I was told that I could not swap parts, and I could only receive a new part if the one I was using was defective. 

I've probably spent over $500 on Arlo products, yet they refuse to send me something that probably costs them less than $1 to produce. I will try to telephone customer service again, but if this is their policy, I would not purchase any Arlo products in the future.

Be warned.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the Pro and Pro2 use the same battery....

but I’ve never seen an issue with either ac adapter charging the two diff cameras.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
GSL1959
Aspirant
Aspirant

Let me be more specific. When my Pro camera is plugged into the Pro adapter, there’s a lightning bolt over the battery symbol under the camera settings and the battery charge increases over time, but when the Pro camera is plugged into the Pro 2 adapter, there’s no lightning bolt and no increase in battery charge over time. I interpret that as the battery isn’t charging. My new Pro 2 cameras show the lightning bolt and charge normally with the Pro 2 adapter.  So is the adapter defective or has Arlo changed something?

I noticed that the adapter that came with the Pro says on the side that the output is 5V@1.8A or 9V@1.1A, but the Pro 2 adapter only lists an output of 5V@2A. Could that be the issue?

Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes....

the pro used a 2 voltage qualcom compatible charger to get 5v/ 9v to charge the battery pack of 8.4v

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation