Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Top Contributors
Caught on Arlo Video Contest
Share Video

Share Your Video!
Caught something cool on Arlo? Share it with the Arlo Community.

Post a video
Aspirant

Arlo Pro 2 can only be plugged in when inside? How to mount them more secure?

I was wanting to place my camera outside. I now read that you can only leave the camera plugged in if it is inside. If that is the case your information on this product is defective? Please advise.

Also bought two outdoor mounts. When I go to mount these they have to go in an outside wall which is accessable by the public. The mount allows for the easy removal to I imagine charge the battery. How could i make the camera more secure?

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Message 1 of 16
Luminary

Re: Arlo Pro 2 can only be plugged in when inside? How to mount them more secure?

To prevent easy removal you could attach a short lanyard to the wall. If you’re using the magnetic mount or the twist on mount it would also protect it from falling if it gets wacked although makes little difference if it is with a baseball bat. Best option is to relocate to a location out of reach.

Message 2 of 16
Aspirant

Re: Arlo Pro 2 can only be plugged in when inside? How to mount them more secure?

I have spoken to your support staff. They now tell me that the cameras have to be within 25 feet of the base station? is this correct. I want to try this at my location how do I do this.

Message 3 of 16
Guru

Not sure what your referring to..., but if syncing the cameras must be fairly close.

Ive found less than ten ft always works.

If you mean operate, not true.... I have several that are 40+ ft away and work fine . It really depends on what the signal goes thru and the signal level at the camera. 

In a test, clear line of sight, I exceeded 300 ft ( tho not real world usage )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Message 4 of 16
Guru

As a PS,  there is an outdoor ac cable available if needed AND and external mounts

See accessories under products at top of page

Outdoor Power Adapter for Pro, Pro 2 Model 4900

PPS any normal camera mount will work...the threaded hole is standard 1/4-20 

Morse is faster than texting!
Message 5 of 16
brh Master
Master

@Murray4750 

As far as power is concerned, if you do not mind climbing a ladder every so often to change the battery with a fully charged one, you can operate the camera solely on battery power. The other option is to use a solar panel if possible so that you can mount the camera higher up to discourage theft.

Brian

Message 6 of 16
Aspirant

Have found a very good waterproof lead and metal mount with chain on Amazon. The very good extra arrived here today in less than a week to NZ. Fantastic. Thanks for responses.
Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Message 7 of 16
Aspirant

See previous Email. Found a sturdy solution on Amazon. Super delivery on metal mount. and chain(looks good too,) There is also a weather proof extension wire that looks like it will seal well for out door use and allows extra features available for plugged in Arlo cameras. Thanks
Message 8 of 16
Aspirant

Have good connection on outside connections at both ends of the House. Didn’t need to worry.. will just need to learn how to reduce sensitivity on motion sensor as they are now picking up leaves blowing across the scanned area..
Message 9 of 16
Aspirant

Problem now solved. Good reception. Needed to just go through the procedures properly and reception is fine. Thanks anyway
Message 10 of 16
Luminary

Any chance of a photo of the mount and chain, would also be nice if you could detail the products used so we can take a look at using the same.
Message 11 of 16
Aspirant

This is the details of the mount that I bought. Photos available on Google. Sorry cant send the link or photos through this system. Holaca Security outdoor mount for Arlo Pro 2 with anti-theft chain.

Message 12 of 16
Aspirant

I have one inside and it works fine not plugged in.
Message 13 of 16
Aspirant

They all work fine indoors and now outdoors but I was wanting a more secure fixing against theft and the extra features that are available when plugged in. Also have the cameras mounted high and it will be easier if I want to change batteries etc easy to get the wire into two places out of three. Thanks
Murray
Message 14 of 16
Luminary

@Murray4750,
Thanks, I have attached a screenshot of the mentioned mount as an example of what has been discussed.
Message 15 of 16
Highlighted

What I did was built little bird houses to hid the cameras and also I can run the cable through the back so they are always plugged it 

Message 16 of 16