Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 cameras ignoring movement. Range is declining. Not recognizing movements properly.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ATC250R
Star
Star

I've had my cameras for a couple years now, and it seems that I'm having more and more issues with the cameras NOT picking up movement; their range is declining.

We got "flocked" last night.  For those of you that don't know what that is, someone came by and set up about 15-18 pink flamingos in our yard.  Arlo missed it all.  I have a camera right in front that didn't pick up anything.  Over the past year, the distance that this camera can recognize movement has been declining;  it used to pick up cars driving by, then it would only pick up people on the sidewalk, then only in the yard.  At this point, the range has declined even further and since the flamingos were placed at the far front edge of the yard (about 20-25ft from the camera), I understand the lack of video.  A second camera, from the side (and at least 30ft away), did catch some movement although the angle didn't really give much info.

However, in the morning, my wife went out and moved all of those flamingos back closer to the house.  She made at least 4-5 trips, going back & forth RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA, WITHIN 5-10 FEET, BOTH AWAY/TOWARD, AND HORIZONTALLY ACROSS THE CAMERA'S FIELD OF VIEW, and the camera never recorded anything.  NOTHING.  Meanwhile, the second camera, from farther away, recorded every movement.

The stupid part is that I get multiple recordings every night of NOTHING.  I literally get dozens of recordings, every night, from 2 of the 3 cameras that I have, that have NO MOVEMENT in them.  Yet when there is obvious movement right in front of the camera, it doesn't record!  OR, it will start a recording, but then stop recording even though the movement is continuing (yes, they are set to record till movement stops).  I've played with the sensitivity settings to no avail.  I've adjusted the positions, cleaned the lenses...nothing has changed other than they seem to actually be deteriorating.  And the 5-10 second delay (even with the cameras just 15 feet from the base unit) makes it impossible to talk with someone on the cameras.

These were purchased for security reasons.  But it seems that they are instead nothing more than a novelty.  What a waste of money.

2 REPLIES 2
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi ATC250R,

You might want to try restarting your Arlo Pro 2 camera by removing the batteries and re-inserting it back tin to see if that helps. If you still have problems where the motion detection isn't working properly, try to read this article to learn how to optimize motion detection: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

ATC250R
Star
Star

I'll try removing/reinstalling the battery.  As for the suggestion to read the "Optimizing motion detection" article, you kind of miss the point.  The cameras are in the exact same position that they have always been in, which do indeed meet all of the criteria listed.  This is a recent change in their performance, not in their location, which is pretty clear in my original post.  It's also very erratic; I can test the cameras for movement, and they seem fine...then they miss very obvious movement later the same day, or stop recording before the movement ends.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation