Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 cables: How many feet can I run the cable to outlet?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ytown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wanting to put 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras at 4 corners of house outside. I want to run power cable from camera through attic to power outlet for power not battery option as well as zone and 3 second option available. How many feet can I run cable to outlet and still perform well? Do I loose effociency if to much distance from camera to outlet?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Absolutely. The best way to handle this is to run an extension cord to each camera and then plug the charger into that. The wires in the USB cable are very small and lose voltage and current over distance. Keeping the distance short between the charger and camera will ensure everything works properly.

Ytown
Aspirant
Aspirant

That was my concern, a wire from camera through attic then plugged into an exstention cord that travels 50 ft at one point to another outlet.
That doesn’t decrease effectively?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any wire increases resistance with distance, reducing the voltage and current available at the other end. Use of a long extension cord to keep the charger and USB cable close to the camera and short eliminates the problem. The extension cord has much heavier wires and the charger doesn't draw much current so the extension cord from the wall plug to the charger is the best solution (short of installing plugs near the cameras).

Ytown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Makes sense.
For my clarification, when you say charger and USB cable close to the camera, that’s the Arlo cable that plugs into back of camera and other end into outlet (or in my scenario the exstention cord) correct?
I really appreciate all the help here.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup. You really don't want to use a long USB cable between the charger and camera. The long house extension cord isn't a problem.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation