Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 battery not charging

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

I hate to admit it, but we got an Arlo Pro 2, maybe 3 years ago. Went through initial set up, charged the batteries, but life got the best of us, and we never installed. It's been in the box. Now that we have time to install, the batteries won't charge. I assume they are no longer good, having gone flat and stored for so long. I tried the recommended step 6, 10 minutes in camera plugged in to AC, unplug, repeat 5 more times. That didn't work. Any other tips to try? Looks like this model is discontinued, and haven't found Arlo batteries to buy anywhere. Suggestions, thoughts on non-arlo batteries?

Thanks for any advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor
Happy to report that all five batteries are charged to 100% and three cameras installed, two need to have mounting modifications to catch the angle we want.🎉

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Is it possible that you have misplaced the arlo charger that came with the camera, it should be a Qualcomm brand and has the quick charge capability using the higher voltage that the pro/pro2 requires.

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, I also tried charging them overnight on the netgear charger that came with the set. No luck.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The pro2 camera battery is 7.2vdc which needs the 9vdc charging feature, using a generic 5vdc charger may run the camera but cannot charge up the battery.

Since the battery has completely drained it may take multiple attempts to kickstart the charging mode of the camera.

Might be less of a hassle to just get a new battery.

https://kb.arlo.com/290/What-kind-of-batteries-does-my-Arlo-camera-use

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

yes, it's a Netgear 9v charger, charges 2 batteries at once. Came with the system.

I wish I could buy new batteries, but they aren't available. Discontinued model and I fear Arlo isn't going to restock. I may have found arlo batteries on Ebay, will try one or two of those. thanks for your ideas.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I was not aware that the 2 x batt charger unit was bundled with the pro2, mine came with the USB Qualcomm QC single charger plug in wall adapter.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

No worries, this is all a steep learning curve for me.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

As a suggestion you could purchase a single USB wall adapter charger for the pro2 and use the battery recovery article previously mentioned to recover the dead batteries. The article mentions the use of the dual charger but it only mentions the camera charger as being able to specifically recover the dead battery.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

I do have the Arlo wall charger that came with the set. Are you referring to unplugging the camera, remove battery, plug camera in, insert battery, check status on app after 10 minutes, if not showing lightning bolt, repeat, up to 5 more times?

I did that for one of the batteries, no luck.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Yes, the wall charger for the camera. No joy then.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

Maybe a little joy! One battery showed 1% after me and the battery going through the rigors of ten min in camera charging, remove, repeat 5 more times. I put it on the charger, and I now have a steady orange light!

I might repeat step 6 again with the other 4 batteries and see if that gets them started.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Thanks for letting us know, good luck with the rest.

It would be of interest to know how they perform once charged and recharged a few times to see if they had lost some of their recording capacity after being dead for so long.

I have had my batteries for four years now and still get reasonable capacity, just need to recharge when you get the low battery notification.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

I'll do my best to report back, thanks for all your help.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

One battery 100% charge!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Getting there I see, great news for those that come after.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

First attempt at step 6 didn't work on the next battery, watched you tube, tried a 9V charger for 5 min, battery read 0%, with lightning bolt, which was better than nothing, but not enough to continue charging when put on the arlo charger. Tried 9V 3x @ 5 min each time, battery read 17%, it's now charging on the arlo charger. Hoping for success with the  3 batteries.

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor
Happy to report that all five batteries are charged to 100% and three cameras installed, two need to have mounting modifications to catch the angle we want.🎉
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Nicely done.👍🏻

Arlolynn
Tutor
Tutor

Update, the three cameras are working fine. front door gets the most activity, battery 94%, driveway, battery 95%, back door, least activity, 100%. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Looking at the discharge rates with 5% every 6 days you should get 3 months battery life which is not bad for a previously dead battery. 

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation