Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 base station wifi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kg4pbd
Initiate
Initiate

So I understand that there are no user configurable settings for the base station wifi.  What is odd is that the base station will follow the same channel that my netgear router/WAP uses.  Example, if my router is set to channel 11, the Arlo base station will use channel 11.  If I change the router to channel 7, and re-start the Arlo, it will change to channel 7.

In my case both of these devices are in the same room, separated by about 12'.  If both devices are on the same channel my router/WAP throughput is radically decreased.  It would seem obvious that if you have two WAP's nearby, you would want them on different channels. My question is why would the Arlo WAP follow the channel of the router it's plugged into, and why can't we set the channel for the Arlo WAP? My only fix for now is to change the router channel, then restart Arlo, then change the router channel back to where I had it.

1 REPLY 1
steve_t
Master Master
Master

We've asked this question many times before and it seems most people, using the ethernet cable included with the base, will have the base station much closer than 12' to the router. With the base station being only a couple of feet away, apparently there are LESS data collisions and packet problems with the base being on the same channel as the router. I'm not sure if there's a thread in the Idea Exchange asking that we get given the ability to select our own channel but if there is, we should add kudos to it and if there's not, you could start one

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation