Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
TATDAL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both my husband and I have pacemakers and I have a defibrillator with mine. Will the Arlo Pro 2 Wireless system interfer with the pacing settings of the pacemakers?

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro2 cameras and base operate on normal wifi frequencies of 2.4 ghz.....

so a guess would prob be no, but you really should be asking this question of your doctor who would have more info on this matter.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TATDAL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I couldn't find the frequency information. I will contact the pacemaker company with the frequency information you provided (the doctor had no clue if it would interfer or not).

Thank you again!

ybok
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do know that the magnetic mounts on the Pro2 camera and brackets both have strong magnets that do affect my 3 wire Medtronic pacemaker if they get too close.  I don't think the frequency bothers anything.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ybok wrote:

I do know that the magnetic mounts on the Pro2 camera and brackets both have strong magnets that do affect my 3 wire Medtronic pacemaker if they get too close.  I don't think the frequency bothers anything.

That is good to know.   

FWIW, the American Heart Association does warn about magnets (and recommends keeping them 6 inches away from the pacemaker).  They also recommend 6 inches for a cell phone, but do not say anything about WiFi (which is what the camera uses).  Many newer pacemakers include bluetooth interfaces which allow monitoring and control.  Bluetooth shares the same frequency band that WiFi uses, so it seems unlikely that WiFi would pose any risk.  https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/arrhythmia/prevention--treatment-of-arrhythmia/devices-that-m...

Though in the Pro-2 (and the Pro and WireFree), the magnet is actually in the back of the camera, and not in the mount.  You'd want to be careful if you are mounting the camera overhead, as it would be easy to bring the camera close to the pacemaker.

Note that with the Pro-3 and Ultra the magnets were moved out of the camera into the magnetic mount itself.  So with those cameras you can eliminate the magnet by simply using the screw-on mount instead. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation