Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 and VMC 4030 offline

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

We've had to reboot or reset before but this problem was new. (now solved as far as we know but just preparing for the problem's possible return). The whole system would go off and on while the main unit light was blinking. (I was outside the apartment, looking in over cell and computer with the resident reporting.) Each camera would say --'not connected to unit' and it would say same about the unit (VMC 4030)  then it would all work again. I had the resident check all the AC camera connections which were fine, then had her remove power from the main unit for 30 seconds, then re-power. After about 1-2 minutes it settled down and now works. Just a little leery since last night, even before we re-powered, it would be fine for twenty minutes then in the morning it was back to being sporadic. Been fine for half an hour now so so far so good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If I understand what you're saying correctly, that the system goes offline briefly with the hub's LED flashing amber, I've seen that myself a few times. It's not obvious to me what happens but it's not a firmware update nor any known ISP issue since the network and connection to the Internet still works. I suspect it's a loss of connection to the servers (backend reboot?) or possibly an interruption someplace in the World Wide Wait. Because it's so rare and you have to physically catch it happening there's little troubleshooting that can be done. If you could catch it right at the beginning, some basic network tracing (ping and traceroute) might be useful and those more experienced in networking than I could possibly use software (Wireshark, etc.) to maybe capture the problem. The end result is that it doesn't really matter - it happens and, in my experience, goes away quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If I understand what you're saying correctly, that the system goes offline briefly with the hub's LED flashing amber, I've seen that myself a few times. It's not obvious to me what happens but it's not a firmware update nor any known ISP issue since the network and connection to the Internet still works. I suspect it's a loss of connection to the servers (backend reboot?) or possibly an interruption someplace in the World Wide Wait. Because it's so rare and you have to physically catch it happening there's little troubleshooting that can be done. If you could catch it right at the beginning, some basic network tracing (ping and traceroute) might be useful and those more experienced in networking than I could possibly use software (Wireshark, etc.) to maybe capture the problem. The end result is that it doesn't really matter - it happens and, in my experience, goes away quickly.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Agreed, except that without re-powering it's not clear at all that the problem would have gone away by itself. There were a few interruptions where  it did come back, then wouldn't come back all until I pulled the power from the back of the main unit for 30 seconds then re-powered. Then it took more than a minute and looked like it was going to keep blinking on amber and disconnect from internet again, but then it kicked in for good and it's been good since. Your explanation for the cause sounds likely. I think Arlo and Arlo advisers have devised a few maneuvers that can handle most issues. (hopefully avoiding the dreaded 'reset' button.) Thanks.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation