Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Stopped recording animals at night

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mayorbyrne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras (front and back door) have stopped recording cats, raccoons, deer at night. I haven't changed *any* detection settings, and they both worked just fine up til about a month ago, so I suspect something has changed on the backend/software side. Factory resetting everything / removing-adding all cameras/base station (as suggested in similar articles) has yielded the same results, night after night. I walked outside and it captured me, but it refuses to motion-capture the stray cats / other animals we want to keep an eye on. One night, we played live video, and saw a raccoon on the camera, but it was pure luck. We weren't notified, and no recordings were captured.

What changed? What can I do? I can't get direct support from Arlo because they want money for that.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mayorbyrne wrote:

so I suspect something has changed on the backend/software side.

If you have local storage, you could check for more night recordings on the USB stick. If you see more, then that would point to the backend.

Personally, I suspect a firmware update for the camera.

Have you tried increasing the motion senstivity?  

mayorbyrne
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're probably right on that firmware point. I have not used local storage for recordings. I tried bumping the sensitivity to 100 from the default 80 last night, but it still didn't capture the animals outside. I know they're out there cuz we left food to monitor them and the food is gone, but there are no videos.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Can you confirm that you adjusted the sensitivity in the armed mode camera rule, the sensitivity adjustment in the camera settings page is a test utility and will not change the camera triggering value.

also what is the ambient temperature at night as this can make the motion sensor less sensitive to body temperature changes from small animals.

mayorbyrne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Dannybear, thanks for the information. I definitely did NOT set the sensitivity in the armed mode, took me a little to find that, but I have done it now; pumped it up to 100% and saved the setting on both cameras. Interestingly, my camera last night actually caught some deer, so maybe it's just the size of the cats/raccoons/smaller animals it wasn't triggering on.

Nighttime temperature is probably low-70s F.

I will let you know how tonight goes with the increased sensitivity settings.

Dannybear
Master
Master

You may end up setting sensitivity back to default value if you get a lot of false alarms.

If you’re interest is to capture animals you may want to consider reviewing the camera placement.

motion range is 25ft nominal and across the camera’s field of view. If the camera is mounted high up then you loose some range due to the vertical component.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation