Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Outside Mounting Hints Needed

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
linkup1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,  I am purchasing a Arlo Pro 2.  I want the cameras to be powered for full functionality and convenience.  These will be mounted on outside walls under overhangs.  I see several "security" mounts which are just tripod mounts.  That still leaves you with having the power cable exposed as I see no provision to route the power through the mount?   I envisioned a mount where the mount was positioned over the hole in the wall through which the power is brought and the power is connected and the camera is mounted securely.    I am less concerned about the camera being stolen than having the cable exposed.  

Is there an existing product like I describe or has someone found a way to use an external mount and route the power cable securely and safely?

Thanks!

Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
CentOS cPanel Datacenter Server
Winders 8 Media Server
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you leave the battery in the camera pulling power won't matter. Using power will keep the battery charged for any time power is lost so you keep recording.

linkup1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Think I must have written the question in a confusing manner.

1.  I am led to believe that certain functions are only available when in powered mode, ie. wired power vs. battery.

2.  Trying to find a mount that allows the power cable to go through the mount into the wall, not a hole to the side of the mount.

I understand the camera can be used with wired power, battery, or battery with wired where the camera can run on batter when there is no wired power.  It just isn't what I was asking about :(, but thanks

Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
Winders 8 Media Server
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@linkup1 wrote:

Is there an existing product like I describe or has someone found a way to use an external mount and route the power cable securely and safely?

There is nothing special about the Arlo fitting. The screw thread into the camera is industry standard. You will find it on most cameras from all the big names.

Any tripod or similar device that can hold a camera should work with the Arlos.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

Think I must have written the question in a confusing manner.

1.  I am led to believe that certain functions are only available when in powered mode, ie. wired power vs. battery.

2.  Trying to find a mount that allows the power cable to go through the mount into the wall, not a hole to the side of the mount.

I understand the camera can be used with wired power, battery, or battery with wired where the camera can run on batter when there is no wired power.  It just isn't what I was asking about :(, but thanks

1) Yes.

2) I understand that you want a mount where the cable runs through it. My point is simply that it doesn't matter except for perhaps aesthetics. Many of the mounts are hollow, at least to a point, so you could drill a hole at the end to pass the USB plug through although it would need to be a fairly large hole. I know of no mounts that already have this since they're almost exclusively universal mounts.

linkup1
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, was just hoping....  I do realize that you would have to somehow get the cable into the mount to begin with, but still seems cleaner, more secure, and more visually appealing to have the cable go through the mount and then into a hole behind it through the wall.   My previous camera system was from Q-See, and the pigtail cable comes out through the bottom of the base which made for a nice clean install.  A third party company who is making the skins could easly create a product that would go over the cable, tripod connector, and a mount they would make or modify to incorporate the cable.  Consider me spoiled with the integrated Q-See 🙂

Thanks!

Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
Winders 8 Media Server
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@linkup1 wrote:

but still seems cleaner, more secure, and more visually appealing to have the cable go through the mount and then into a hole behind it through the wall.

I agree. My point is that we are dealing with universal standards here. I'd lay money on someone out there making a standard camera mount with a cable feed running up the middle.

Threading the USB power lead through that might be fun, but the message is that you should look beyond the Arlo/Netgear world.

It just might cost you a lot.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
linkup1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Understand...seems the simple solution is to cut a slot in the base and pass the cable through that.  The hole could be plugged with white silicone to seal it.

After further thought, maybe something exists...let me describe it....

A "tube" could run from mid-egg, over the cable and threat mount, and end mid-mount shaft.  Picture something elastic that would be snug on something a couple inches in diameter maybe 6" long.  Worse case a tie wrap over the ends if the material wasn't elastic enough.  I am thinking of something like a large diameter shrink wrap tubing but elastic....or like surgical tubing but large diameter...some kind of very flexible 2" diamter hose (BTW, totally guessing the diameter as I don't have the camera or mount yet...  going a step further, such "tube" could actuall go under the plate mounting to the wall, so it seals from under the plate, up the mount, over the cables, and attaches over the egg.  clean install, makes the system more weatherproof.  Come on guys...I hope at least one of you sees where I am going and doesn't think I am nutz.

Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
Winders 8 Media Server
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation