Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 - Night vision firmware bug?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Tenlak
Initiate
Initiate

Hub

Firmware: 1.9.4.0_15548

Hardware: VMB4000r3

Camera

Firmware: 1.124.1.0_15483

Hardware: H3

Purchased from local Retail store and installed and configured same day.

No skins

Outdoor mount install.

After syncing the camera and disarming the hub the quality of the night vision was as below –

** Please be aware that the IR is not reflecting off the license plate but it was coming in clear, you could see all the digits in the license plate. I went ahead and cover it with a white line across for Privacy concerns.

Fresh install. - No change in lighting.Fresh install. - No change in lighting.

Scenario - After confirming the quality, I decided to turn on a light that is to the left and below the camera. Almost Instantly the camera increased in brightness as in trying to compensate for the extra light.

The issue – After turning the light off again the camera never reverted to its normal brightness and stayed “washed out” permanently.

"Washed Out" effect. Software compensating?"Washed Out" effect. Software compensating?

Further Testing is needed and I will see if I can reset this camera back to factory settings or just sync my 2nd one that is still in the box and replicate the issue.

Reading back at posts from last year people were complaining how some camera's night vision was too dark and I’m assuming Netgear resolved this through a software/firmware update?

This seems to only be affecting the new Arlo Pros 2 released back in October, which tells me a couple of things-

1. They rushed them out to be sold during the Christmas/Holiday season with a known buggy firmware.
  2. Assuming by how quiet Netgear has been and only poor James answering from time to time – Most of us here in the US are off during Nov, Dec timeframe for the Holidays and it could be we won’t see a firmware update or fix till after January 2018.

It bothers me that decided to push a new product and not expect any issues with limited support during this season.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only "reset"  of the camera is to pull the battery and replace it....

Tho as a full settings change you may want to use REMOVE DEVICE ( in settings ) and bing the cam back as if new by resync'ing

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Tenlak
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks TomMac!

I went ahead and removed the device then removed the battery but it seems that the Hub still remembered all of its settings. The night vision quality seems to have improved as I went and took another picture to compare but it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Do you know if the security concern when returning the product and someone else utilizing the cameras has been resolved? Or are they permanently tied to the original account?

Thanks again!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
No problem returning, not to worry
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation