Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2: Is the online video resolution improved?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Wind_Rider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to decide on an video surveilance system and in reading reviews about the Netgear Arlo system, one of the major negative points is the fact that video resolution is downsampled so much for online storage that the resulting video data online is useless to use as evidence in a crime.  People and license plates cannot be clearly identified in the surveilance footage.  This pretty much makes the system useless for security surveilance.

I would like to know if this issue has been addressed or improved in any way with the Arlo Pro 2 system?  Does anyone have actual experience using the footage as a part of a criminal investigation?

Thanks!

Alak.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Probably the biggest issue is the 130 degree angle of view and not so much with resolution and compression.  WHile I wish compression was adjustable, you simply would have a hard time with getting details from such a wide angle lens.  A 75 degree angle (or less) would be needed for an ID-type camera.  It's not a limitation of Arlo - any camera would have the same issue.

I have no experience with utility for criminal investigations but proper camera placement would be needed if that's truly what's needed.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation