Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ksclc39a
Aspirant
Aspirant

Recently, my geofencing has been severely delayed when leaving or arriving at my home. It takes about 15 minutes for the Arlo system to detect my phone's location presence. Not sure what has happened recently because this never needs to be the case. I have a Google pixel 2

5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @ksclc39a,

Try to restart your phone to see if that fixes the issue.

If not, make sure to have the Arlo app running in the background. Follow the steps below:

• Open your device's Settings app
  • Tap "Data Usage" > "Data Saver" (Make sure this setting is shown as off)
  • Then go back and tap on "Apps" > "Arlo"
  • Make sure you have "Background Data" and "Unrestricted data usage" enabled. (Standard data rates may apply)
Ksmoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have been having this same issue for the past week or two, maybe three. Two different phones, both are Samsung. Reset the base unit and phones already, and still happening.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In my testing, it seems to be due to the phone's battery optimization settings, some of which you can't control. The app has to use the phone's location services to determine where you are but if either the app or the location service is sleeping, delays will be seen. It's not just Arlo - I have an August smart lock that doesn't always let me in automatically. Waking the phone when arriving home can provide a manual way of helping out.

ksclc39a
Aspirant
Aspirant

After I have posted this initial post, I too believe it has something to do with the battery optimization settings in Android phones. I agree that there are some setting in the battery optimization that cannot be controlled that are affecting this situation. I am also having issues with some automations that I have using location of my phone when using Phillips Hue, Smartthings, and IFFT. Hopefully the next Android update fixes these issues. Either that or Arlo, Phillips Hue, Smartthings, and IFFT need to figure a solution.

Ksmoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Netgear staff, how can we resolve this issue? I've checked all of my settings and nowhere do I find anything delaying or sleeping the Arlo app. This issue just started in the last 3 weeks. Please assist.

Samsung note 8 & Samsung s8
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation