Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2: Free cloud service and paid subscription

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
stupidkid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have 8 Arlo Pro 2 cameras, and 1 Arlo Baby Monitor.  I understand the free 7 day cloud storage is limited to 5 cameras per account.  I pay for Arlo Smart Premier for 5 cameras.  Can I have 5 cameras on the paid plan, and 3 still using the free cloud storage - all under the same account?  Right now, I can't even add a fifth camera without the app telling me I need to pay for it, I assume  because it's counting the baby monitor against my 5 total?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stupidkid wrote:

Can I have 5 cameras on the paid plan, and 3 still using the free cloud storage - all under the same account? 

Yes

@stupidkid wrote:

it's counting the baby monitor against my 5 total?

The baby monitor does count as a camera.

stupidkid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB   So the app telling me I need to pay to add even a fifth camera is an error?  I had two cameras and the baby monitor.  I was able to add two more cameras.  When I plugged in a fifth the app said I had to pay $1.49 more per month.  I'll try tech support.

stupidkid
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried tech support.  The Arlo Baby monitor counts as a camera.  The app can only manage 5 cameras at a time.  Any more than that and you have to pay.  I could create a separate account, but then I can't use the smart subscription for any cameras on that account to take advantage of the smart motion sensing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stupidkid wrote:

The Arlo Baby monitor counts as a camera.  

I also told you that.

@stupidkid wrote:

The app can only manage 5 cameras at a time.  Any more than that and you have to pay. 

I have 8 cameras on my account, with a 5-camera elite plan.  One additional camera (video doorbell) is on a single camera premier trial. 

Two pro-2 cameras are not on a plan, and I am still getting free cloud recording on them.  No smart notifications or cloud activity zones.

All 8 cameras show up in the app and the web client.

So you definitely can have free cloud recording for some cameras.

stupidkid
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're right, I added a "not" to your sentence - sorry about that.

Interesting that you're able to do that - I asked the tech support multiple times and they said it wasn't possible without paying or creating a separate account.  I have two base stations, would that make a difference.

Thank you for your help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stupidkid wrote:

I have two base stations, would that make a difference.

I also have two, but that doesn't matter as far as the subscriptions are concerned.  They apply to the account, not the base(s).

However with two bases, you can use two accounts (and then use grant access so you can see all cameras from both accounts).  That lets you get more than 5 cameras with free cloud recordings.  But if I understand what you want, I don't think you need that workaround.  

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation