Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Camera light flashes every 24 hours... why?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RepoMan
Guide
Guide

I've noticed that at least one (and maybe all) of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras (this one is plugged in) flashes the blue light very briefly (about 4 or 5 times) every night. This happens every single night, and does this exactly one minute later than it flashed the previous day. So for example if it flashes 5 times at 11:15 PM, it will do the same thing at 11:16 the next night.

I've seen no mention of this anywhere, and I'm curious why this is happening? Anyone else notice this?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen this in the past but have rearranged cameras so can't speak to that any more. It's possible it has something to do with the nightly firmware updates. Maybe it's evidence that a check is going on?  Or not...

RepoMan
Guide
Guide

I do appreciate your response @jguerdat, and no disrespect, but by now I was hoping for a more definitive answer - possibly from someone like an Arlo employee that knows for sure. It's unnerving (especially to my wife) that this is happening, and now it appears to be periodically doing it during the day at times, as well. She of course thinks it's possible someone is watching us and, without a solid answer to be found anywhere, I'm beginning to wonder as well.

The light is BLUE. It's flashing FAST about 5 to 8 times each time it does it (every night, and sometimes  now during the day). There is no SLOW flashing that precedes this action, like it might if I had it next to my base station and was intentionally re-syncing it. As I said previously, this occurs nightly, and one minute later each night. I have the LED turned OFF on all of my cameras in the software, and when this happens it's the only time I see any lights of any kind on any of my 6 cameras. I also have the paid Arlo Smart Premier plan, if that matters.

Arlo's official "LED light meaning" page advises that the Blue LED light has only two meanings - Slow flashing means "Camera is syncing", Fast flashing (which is what mine do) means "Camera has synced", and alternating Amber and Blue means a FW update is in progress. (https://kb.arlo.com/642/What-do-the-different-LED-behaviors-on-my-Arlo-camera-mean) Mine is definitely Fast blinking when it happens, and is clearly not re-connecting to my very stable network. To make the argument that it is doesn't work, becaues it does this every single night at roughly the same time plus one minute.

I've read others (that were talking about a purple light - different problem) say that the 'solution' was to put a piece of tape over the light (which has been turned "off" in the app). This is like telling my wife, when there's a guy standing in my living room with a camera, to just pretend he's not there.

It's just incredible to me that neither Netgear/Arlo, nor any other user, has this issue on any of their cameras or has any answers at all as to why this is happening. I feel totally ignored, and starting to feel invaded.

And a tangential side note - (I know you have no control over this, I'm just venting) This forum is difficult to navigate to find anything. If there were better Search methods to mandate must-have words or phrases, and maybe restrict posts with other words, and maybe restrict to particular cam models, I think users could find things a lot easier than sorting through hundreds of unrelated posts.

And my last side note is that every single time I try to respond to an Arlo Survey ("We value your feed back. Tell us about your experience") I take the time to write out my issue, click Ok or whatever it is, and I'm brought to a page with a big red bar (one of Arlo's pages, not my browser's) that says "Authentication Failed. Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication." Total BS. I've tried other browsers, same luck. Ok, I'm done.  🙂

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation