Arlo Pro 2 Camera System Setup

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, I've bought an Arlo Pro 2 Camera system for my daughter, who doesn't live nearby.  I was hoping to setup the 3 cameras and base station at my home using my internet router, then send it all to my daughter, hopefully making it easier for her to install  and get it working at her place.  Would this help her?

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should work fine. Be sure to create the account using her email address as well as any other pertinent info so it's all in her name/account. Unless the idea is for you to be the owner and her to be a guest.

Note that these cameras are end of life so no updates and the free 7 day plan will be going away. You may want to return them and get a system such as the Pro 4 or Ultra, both of which require a subscription for cloud recordings.

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ah, OK, thank you. 

I didn't know about this End of Life, didn't receive anything from Netgear.  It's too late to change my purchase, but hopefully it'll still be possible to store the camera video clips on a memory stick in case needed later . . . 

The advantage as I see it of the earlier camera systems (Pro, Pro 2) is that they can be kept charged by a mains power lead.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

I didn't know about this End of Life, didn't receive anything from Netgear. 

It came from Arlo - Netgear divested Arlo back in 2018, so they aren't involved at all.  It should have been emailed to your username (email) address in early January.

@arlosp wrote:

The advantage as I see it of the earlier camera systems (Pro, Pro 2) is that they can be kept charged by a mains power lead.

So can the Pro 3, Pro 4, Pro 5s, and the Ultras.  But not the Essentials.

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh, my current cameras are a mix of the Pro and Pro2 versions together with the VMB 4000 Base station, and they have all micro USB B charging points.  I can't see an equivalent socket on the Pro 3 and later cameras, is it a different type and in a different place?

2nd question, I'm afraid I'm not au fait with the whole Arlo system, and now I see Arlo is going to disable several features I'm wondering how this will impact my setup.  So, am I right in thinking some of my cameras will lose their 7-day cloud storage this coming April, and the others next January?

3rd question, if I buy some later camera types, eg the Pro 3, will they work and have the 7-day storage with my existing VMB 4000 Base station?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The newer cameras, excluding the Essential cameras, all use a magnetic power connection on the bottom of the camera. Obviously, that requires a different power supply compared to what you'be been using. Go to arlo.com and check out the accessories for any camera you think you may buy.

The EOL won't kill your current setup but you will be losing features over time, such as cloud recordings. You can either use only local recordings with a drive attached to your base (I'd suggest buying a SmartHub since the app will have direct access while any of the old VMB4xxx bases require ejecting the drive to view the videos but be aware it's not the same as cloud recordings by a long shot) or by purchasing a subscription which will allow you to regain cloud recordings.

Any camera newer than the Pro 2 will require a subscription for cloud recordings after the trial period expires. The cameras will work with your base but you would need a sub for at least any new cameras. If you get any plan, it will cover all of your cameras even after the 7 day free plan for your old cameras is discontinued.

It may be worth buying a new system that includes a SmartHub. That way you may be able to keep the existing setup working as well as getting the features of the new cameras.

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

In the meanwhile I've received my purchase of a 3-camera Arlo Pro system.  Upon examination I find that the 3 batteries are virtually stone dead, each showing a voltage of 0.04V.  I have got one on charge as a trial; do you think these batteries are recoverable to working order from such a low voltage?

PS The joys of buying from Ebay!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Attempting to charge multi times should bring it back... the battery voltage is to low to properly start the charge.

See full article below;

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

PS The joys of buying from Ebay!

You should know that eBay is not an authorized distributor nor are any of the folks selling Arlo products. That means no warranty claims can be made.

I'd return the system if at all possible. You can still use it but...

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,  using an external Arlo charger it looks like I've been able to restore the correct operating voltage to the batteries,  so pleased about that.  Whether they hold their charge is still TBD!

I'm still trying to fully understand the Arlo Legacy Cameras End of Life statement, 

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

My current system is a mix of four Arlo Pro and one Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  It seems that for the Arlo Pro 2 camera the existing service I have, comprising 7-day cloud storage, email notifications, and ability to interrogate in situ the camera voltage, alter device utilities, etc, will continue until EOL on 1st Jan 24.

For my Arlo Pro cameras its seems that from EOL on 1st Apr 23 they will no longer receive support, upgrades, etc, but am I right in saying that the free 7-day cloud storage and notifications continue (like for the Pro 2) until Jan 24?

My reading of the Arlo statement is that there is one EOL date for the "Arlo hardware devices", and another for the "Arlo Services".  I'm hoping I'm right . . . 🤞 ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

For my Arlo Pro cameras its seems that from EOL on 1st Apr 23 they will no longer receive support, upgrades, etc, but am I right in saying that the free 7-day cloud storage and notifications continue (like for the Pro 2) until Jan 24?

Unfortunately, no.  Cloud storage for the Pro cameras will end on 1 April 23 (when the cameras go EoL).

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation