Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Camera Power. Be wired all the time without battery. Unable to find proper cable.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MG189
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,
I have been looking around, a lot and buying a lot of equipment and returning it. But I still cannot figure out a solution. I want to use my Arlo Pro 2 Cameras without the battery, and to be wired All the time. But I cannot find the proper cables to power the cameras. I have tried the DC cables , which gave me less than 5V (4.5V ) of output. Which I believe is less than what the camera need. Maybe I. Losing power over the 100 feet I need. Tried the Active USB extension cable, same problem, not enough power. Only thing that gave a little over 5V for a 100 foot cable was to combine the DC cable to power the end of the active USB extension. And that's running two cables outdoor , which is problematic, specially when trying to cover the points of connection of the cable outdoor. My last option is to try to get a POE switch and extend a CAT6 ethernet outdoor. But I don't know how to work it out. Which POE switch would give enough power to the cameras , but not TOO Much much power that would ruin the cameras. My hope is to run only One wire to each camera, at least 100 feet away. Any suggestions?? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Running 5 volts DC over a 100 foot cable is going to be problematic, as you will see a voltage drop due to the cable resistance.  An active USB cable won't help unless it has its own power adapter (and even then it might not deliver enough power).

PoE delivers 48 volts, so that can't be directly used.  There are some PoE USB chargers out there that you could try.  You'd want to put them into an outdoor-rated electrical box, and make sure the USB connection to the charger is protected from the elements.  Note I haven't tried these gadgets - so this is not a recommendation, just something you could try.

You wouldn't need a PoE switch btw.  You could get by with PoE power injectors.  If you only have a couple of cameras, that would be less expensive.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The better solution is to run a long power cord to near the camera and then use the USB adapter to power the camera. Be sure to weatherproof all connections so maybe having an electrician install an outlet would be good.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

The better solution is to run a long power cord to near the camera and then use the USB adapter to power the camera. Be sure to weatherproof all connections so maybe having an electrician install an outlet would be good.

Certainly more direct, but it might be safer for a non-electrician to run outdoor-rated ethernet cable and use PoE. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation