Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 CVR

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
pryce08
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have seen from the notes that the Arlo Pro 2 will have CVR. But, will there be option to power the device outside? Currently there are no outdoor rated cameras in your line up that offer this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master
17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the outdoor power supply for this. Works fine.

pryce08
Aspirant
Aspirant

As far as the Arlo Pro 2 kit I do not see a outdoor rate power supply included in your list below. 

Can you provide a product link for this? Also, is the powersupply rated to be routed through an exterior wall. 

What’s Included:

• (2) Arlo Pro 2 smart security cameras
  • (2) Rechargeable batteries
  • (1) Base station with a built in siren
  • (1) Indoor power adapter
  • (1) Indoor power cable
  • (1) Ethernet cable
  • (2) Wall mounts
  • (1) Wall mount screw set
  • (1) Quick start guide
  • (1) Window decal
Streak2
Master Master
Master
pryce08
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find it on your site! 

As a suggestion I would add this as an accessory on your site under both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2. 

There are a few looking for this solution. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

We (superusers) are customers just like you, just with a bit more knowledge of how things work.

This power adapter was listed as an accessory on this site but for some reason it's no longer there.

Maybe one of the Netgear staff can comment. @JamesC 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro II can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter.  At this time we do not support continuous outdoor use with an outdoor power adapter.

JamesC

bradmcgonigle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m confused...

What’s the difference between the indoor cable included in the box and the outdoor cable currently available for sale? I don’t see how the camera would know the difference unless they provide a different amount of power.
doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Comparing the indoor cable that came with my unit and a picture of the outdoor cable the difference I see is that the outdoor cable has a specially molded end that appears to fit snuggly in the camera's charging port receptacle eliminating the intrusion of moisture.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

Arlo Pro II can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter.  At this time we do not support continuous outdoor use with an outdoor power adapter.

JamesC

That makes no sense at all. So the Arlo Pro outdoor power adapter will not work with Arlo Pro 2 ? Are you sure they're not  just referring to CVR use (24/7) ? I think someone is getting this issue a little mixed up.

Current owners of Arlo Pro who have been buying the outdoor power adapter will be thrilled to hear that.

pryce08
Aspirant
Aspirant

Based, on the official reply. I guess that this camera is not outdoor rated for CVR. This was my main hope for this camera as I have wanted to upgrade my original Arlo cameras. I find it interesting that this now confirms there is no external camera the truely supports 24/7 CVR from Arlo. Dissapointing!

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

pryce08 wrote:

Based, on the official reply. I guess that this camera is not outdoor rated for CVR. This was my main hope for this camera as I have wanted to upgrade my original Arlo cameras. I find it interesting that this now confirms there is no external camera the truely supports 24/7 CVR from Arlo. Dissapointing!

Don't get too upset too quickly.  Let's wait until someone actually has one of these in the wild and can test it out.  I have my money on it working.  I'm pretty darn sure that Netgear hasn't built logic into the outdoor cable that would tell the camera that is it using the official "outdoor" cable.  And I also don't think they would have logic in the camera to only accect the genuine Netgear indoor cable for CVR.

I am a little curious about their use of the term "power adapter".  What exactly does that mean?  Is it a power supply and cord as one unit?  So indoors I am unable to use my own power supply and separate USB cable?  I suspect their legal department has something to do with these CVR conditions.  Could their be some legal ramifications that would prohibit using the CRV outdoors on a residential building???  Technically this all makes no sense at all.

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

FWIW, I have an Arlo pro with the external USB power cable and the battery can still die. An engineer will need to confirm but I believe both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 aren't actually getting AC powered in these situations, they are charging a battery that is being discharged by the camera.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, that is my understanding that when the battery is in the camera and the camera is hooked up to a power cord that the battery is powering the camera and the cord is charging the battery.  To power the camera directly from the cord the battery must be removed from the camera I believe.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rugbychix wrote:

FWIW, I have an Arlo pro with the external USB power cable and the battery can still die. An engineer will need to confirm but I believe both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 aren't actually getting AC powered in these situations, they are charging a battery that is being discharged by the camera.

If the battery is dying while plugged in, the camera isn't being powered properly. To run the camera but not charge requires 5v at 1.8A while charging the battery at the same time requires 9v at 1.1A (those are the ratings on the Arlo chargers). The camera should be using power from the wall at all times if the charger and cable are working properly. When plugged in, I've never had the battery discharge at all.

Rugbychix
Tutor
Tutor

I'm using the Netgear outdoor AC cable, plugged directly into a wall. So everything is setup as expected. My suspion is that my camera is active more than yours is. This camera normally lasts 5 days without being plugged in...#citylife.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a beta Pro2 camera plugged in with CVR so it's streaming all the time. The battery is constantly at 100%.  Something is wrong with either the charger or camera if it can't stay at 100% all the time. Open a case with support.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

To run the camera but not charge requires 5v at 1.8A while charging the battery at the same time requires 9v at 1.1A (those are the ratings on the Arlo chargers).

Just got my usb meter in the mail.  I'm charging my Arlo Pro 1. The battrery is currently at 40% and drawing 8.97 V and 1.09 A on a Quick Charge 2.0 charger.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation