Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
mnspiceman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brand new Arlo Pro 2 with the VMB4000 base station. After doing a factory reset (3 times) and unplugging and replugging everything (10+ times), I'm still unable to get the app to discover the base station. I've tried from my mac and my iphone app. I was told I may have to enable port forwarding on my Asus RT-AC68R router. This is going way over my level of technical ability. I have upgraded my router's firmware and have access to the admin of it, but that's as much as I can do without real support. Just seems like this is a little much. Any ideas are welcome as I can hardly understand Arlo's Tech Support.

9 REPLIES 9
brh
Master
Master

@mnspiceman

What is the middle light on your base station showing?

Are you getting any messages such as, "Arlo Cannot claim this base?  If so, your system was previously owned and only support can unlock it. You will have to provide proof of purchase.

As far as port forwarding if you have an app to administer the router, it will probably be a box that you check to enable port forwarding.

You could have a setting in your firewall that is blocking it. Ports 80, 123 and 443 must be open. They may be blocked by your isp.

You can contact your isp's support and make sure everything is ok on their end.

I am sure others will chime in to help you but try these things first.

Brian

jerry2017
Star
Star

A LOT of issues the past couple of weeks with ARLO's.
No alerts on current mobile devices.
Extremely limited streaming capabilities.
Can not connect to cameras even if only 1 is selected.
Recent updates (around May 8, 2018) resulted in 2 obvious outcomes. New coders or they are dropping support. You (and I) spent A LOT OF MONEY and netgear is scaling back.

mnspiceman
Aspirant
Aspirant

The middle light is green.

No messages other than can not discover the base.

Thanks for the input.

brh
Master
Master

@mnspiceman

The green mddle light means that the base connected to the internet. When you go to the Devices page in the app and select Add Device are you able to add the base unit? what is happening when you try that?

Brian

mnspiceman
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I start on the app, it directs me to add "Arlo Wire-Free." It then gives four steps (plugging in, etc.), which I do. When I hit continue it goes to "Discover Device." At this point it goes nowhere. I've tried it with my iphone and my iMac. Nothing. I've performed factory resets (four of them now) and unpowered and repowered so many times I can't remember. That's where I'm stuck.

If it can't be figured out today, the 6-camera system goes back and I buy a different system. I don't have time to dink around with this kind of crap.

brh
Master
Master

@mnspiceman

In my app for iPhone when you select add device, I see the "Arlo Wire Free." Scrolling down a little it says "Base Station."

Clicking on that takes you to the next page Labelled, "Base Station Setup."

Have you tried that?

Brian

mnspiceman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't get an option that says Arlo Base Station. Just Arlo Wire-Free.

brh
Master
Master

@mnspiceman

Since you are using an iPhone and so am I, I don't know why the apps are different. Delete the app and download the latest version from the App Store. 

Other than that, you have done about all you can do. This is not normal. Usually setting up a new system is very easy and only takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have iOS but the Android app has a selection called simply "Base Station" which has a picture of the various base models.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation