Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 - 1st Day Review

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just installed the Arlo Pro2 - 4 Cam System.  1st day review. 

The 1080p resolution is good.  Much improved over the Pro1, but still cant read a cars license plate.  Guessing its due to the large viewing angle, of which it seems to have increased slightly over the Pro1.  Not sure if I placed the camera in a slightly better orientation or not, but it sure does seem to have a little more viewing angle to it.

The built in speaker has improved to a normal and usable volume level, but tends to lower itself after a few seconds of use, I sure a firmware update will fix that. 

3-second look-back feature is great, works perfect for me.  Sometimes I get a little more than 3 seconds, other times i only get 1-2 second look-back.  Some cameras have 2 bars of signal strength and dont seem to give any connection issues, only been 1 day of use so far.

Activity based motion detection is surprisingly good, seems to record on every small pixel change. 

Night vision seems to be the same as the Pro 1.

Not sure how much faster i use up my free 1-gig of storage space at 1080p, but time will tell. 

Overall much improved product.  Highly recommend.  Hope next years model is a 4K design. 

25 REPLIES 25
sm1975
Guide
Guide

thanks for this. Any chance you could post a link to see what the video quality is now like?

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Where did you purchase the 4 pack from?  I haven't seen it on Amazon yet.

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Best Buy online with next day shipping.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

armsil1234 wrote:

Just installed the Arlo Pro2 - 4 Cam System.  1st day review. 

Not sure how much faster i use up my free 1-gig of storage space at 1080p, but time will tell. 

There's no 1gb storage limit currently. It's pretty much just based on the time allocated by your plan now eg 7 days on the Basic Free plan, 30 or 60 days etc

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
See attached picture and circled in red. Has this Arlo data space limit changed to unlimited for 7 days?
armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is the picture.  Looks like one gig limit for 7 days.  If all data were unlimited for 7 days, then the CVR feature be free for 7 days (which we all know is not free and a totally separate subscription).  If you need more data, then you have to upgrade. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, pretty sure the capacity cap went ages ago, unofficially. Perhaps they're leaving it there in case they want to bring it back. Before I upgraded my account, I had multiple cameras (powered) recording 400+ clips per day and never hit a cap. CVR is a completely different kettle of fish

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

armsil1234 wrote:

3-second look-back feature is great, works perfect for me. Sometimes I get a little more than 3 seconds, other times i only get 1-2 second look-

I thought you need to use the 24-7 CVR feature, with a pay plan for this to work....

Am I missing something here?

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why would you need a 3-second look back if you are recording 24/7 ? The CVR should be able to look back entire days, not seconds.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

armsil1234 wrote:
Why would you need a 3-second look back if you are recording 24/7 ? The CVR should be able to look back entire days, not seconds.

I understand that. What I meant was that Netgear may not have all the extra Arlo 2 features available to all (even when plugged in) unless you sign up for their CVR plan. Also even with a 24-7 plan it doesn’t mean one would always run it as such. I know people who schedule their modes and include times with motion detection instead. That’s what I am not clear about, whether you can use the three-sec look back as well as the zone blocking, without the CVR plan, in a motion detection mode.

Do you have the answer for that?

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
If a camera is plugged in and the motion detection is on, then yes the 3 second look back is added to the beginning of the recorded video. If a predefined zone picks up motion, then the look back feature will be added to that video. CVR mode does not have any motion trigger. If you mix and match modes then each mode will act as such. Hope this helps.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Right, if you ha e CVR enabled, the pre-buffer 3 second is NOT in play, if you want to look back three seconds, you have to do so in the CVR timeline.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

manofice:

That was not the question.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

armsil1234 wrote:

If a camera is plugged in and the motion detection is on, then yes the 3 second look back is added to the beginning of the recorded video. If a predefined zone picks up motion, then the look back feature will be added to that video.

I think I know how CVR works......All I wanted to clarify is that you were able to test the above features with a basic (free) subscription, with a plugged in Arlo 2 unit.

Thank you.

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, I only have the free basic subscription. My camera was plugged in with the Arlo outdoor adaptor.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul_FCCL wrote:

I understand that. What I meant was that Netgear may not have all the extra Arlo 2 features available to all (even when plugged in) unless you sign up for their CVR plan. Also even with a 24-7 plan it doesn’t mean one would always run it as such. I know people who schedule their modes and include times with motion detection instead. That’s what I am not clear about, whether you can use the three-sec look back as well as the zone blocking, without the CVR plan, in a motion detection mode.

The Pro2 enables certain features for free when powered by AC.  That includes the 3 second look back and zones, just as with the Q cameras.  What you have to pay for is CVR for the ability to see the whole stream. However, just as with the Q cameras, use of CVR deletes the 3 second look back since you can use CVR to do that.  I've whined about this in the past and was told that it was by design and wouldn't be changed.  I disagree wholeheartedly - the recording should have the pre-buffer regardless of CVR.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes “by design”.....or by error, like some other wonders still there to stay (ie. camera OFF doesn’t really mean that, depending on circumstances).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Look Back records the three seconds before motion is detected by your Arlo Pro 2 camera. To use the Look Back feature, you must be subscribed to a continuous video recording (CVR) plan and your Arlo Pro 2 camera must be plugged in.

To record Look Back video, the Arlo Pro 2 camera must be using motion detection. Make sure that the camera is in Armed mode or another mode that uses motion detection.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

armsil1234 wrote:
Yes, I only have the free basic subscription. My camera was plugged in with the Arlo outdoor adaptor.

JamesC wrote:

Look Back records the three seconds before motion is detected by your Arlo Pro 2 camera. To use the Look Back feature, you must be subscribed to a continuous video recording (CVR) plan and your Arlo Pro 2 camera must be plugged in.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

ok.....can someone please explain all these contradictory statements, which is it?

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am able to review recordings start several seconds before a passing car crosses the screen and trigger motion. I have all 3 bars signal strength, and outside with the Arlo outdoor adaptor (after all PRO1 and Pro2 accessories are all cross-compatible from what I read). Please confirm if PRO1 and Pro2 systems are compatible. Recordings show as being motion activated, not sound activated, so it’s not the car engine sound triggering to record.
armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you do not support use of the outdoor arlo power adaptor.  But in the link posted above for look back, it shows the following: 

To set up your Arlo Pro 2 camera to record Look Back video:

1. Plug in your Arlo Pro 2 camera.
    For outdoor use, we recommend that you use the Arlo Pro outdoor power adapter (VMA4700) with your Arlo Pro 2 camera.

Seems contradictory since it has the word "recommend".  Please let me know if the Arlo outdoor adaptor VMA4700 is supported.  Thanks.

DSyno
Initiate
Initiate
"To use the Look Back feature, you must be subscribed to a continuous video recording (CVR) plan"

Wrong. And your KB article is wrong. As "armsil" already mentioned on this thread, he has the free subscription and the "3-second look back" feature works just fine.
Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation