Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo App 2.20 interfering with existing iPad functioning of earlier versions (iOS 10 or lower)

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
AussieRTM1
Guide
Guide

It would appear that this new update is compromising iPads with iOSs 10.

The iPad screen tells me I must update even though my iPad cannot update past iOS10. Therefore the existing Arlo 2.19 will not proceed even though it has been performing fully effectively for the purpose for which I purchased this hardware less than 2 years ago. I appreciate iOS 11 is required if you want new functionality but I do not. I believe too much useless functionality is being added at the expense of the necessary functioning.

As retirees we can not be purchasing new hardware just because a company is not ensuring there software is backward compatible or because the iOS App Store is not advised to correctly configure its operation to not force an update where not required by the user.

Perhaps American companies do not appreciate that the other hardware used with their products are not as inexpensive elsewhere in the world as they are in the US.

I look forward to Arlo addressing this problem. promptly.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi AussieRTM1,

As part of Arlo’s commitments to privacy and security, older versions of the Arlo app are periodically retired. In order to maintain this commitment to privacy and security, versions of the iOS mobile app 2.15 and older and Android Arlo mobile app version 2.15 and older will no longer be supported as of September 16th, 2020. You can read more about this here: Required update for iOS Arlo mobile app versions 2.15 / Android Arlo mobile app version 2.15

AussieRTM1
Guide
Guide

Jessica  Your response is unacceptable and validates the criticism the company is receiving about F2A and other issues from an extensive user community.

I have many other apps linked with equipment and those suppliers maintain functionality in their apps but preclude access to enhancements.  There equipment still functions with the older app version.

Firstly I had the impression my version was 2.19 but because of the login issue I am unable to check the version.

At no time during the sale of this product did Netgear  who was the seller at the time state they would modify the app software to the point that a recent buyer would be unable to access their system. In Australia what has occurred is a breach of consumer legislation.  Obviously I will report this to the relevant consumer and telecommunications agency here.  That will start a black mark process against Arlo in Australia and I will encourage other Australian users to do likewise.

Like so many clients who reflect the poor customer service attitude about Arlo, I will neither recommend Arlo products nor will I continue with them long term.  

In due course I will be one more customer lost to your business.  I have other Netgear hardware in our house and have never experienced such a poor corporate attitude from them.

Apeape12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I came here for this issue. Have been using the iPad to view the cameras and it's been fine until this latest update, where it prompts me to update but I cannot update. It is frustrating that as of last week I could still use it and now I can't. Can't the company make it still available for those with the older iOS system to still use it? I don't understand why we cannot just keep the older system without any any new updates.  That would make the customers a lot happier. 

Suzuki
Star
Star

Which app should i use in a iPad with iOS 10.3.4

The only app in the App Store i can find does not work on 10.3.4

I cannot upgrade my iPad to iOS 11.

All worked fine but I had to reset my iPad and now it does not work anymore.

Please a solution other than buy a new iPad since my iPad works great for everything except Arlo.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not much to be done unless you can get an old version app on the web from third party locations.

But don't forget , you can access Arlo via a browser at  my.arlo.com 

I use to do it with a browser on an older device, it may work with one of the current browsers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AussieRTM1
Guide
Guide

Sounds simple but Arlo have the web login from an iPad set to force you to an app.

When you ask to go direct to the My Arlo login page bypassing the app, it lets you login in but forces you to a subscription only requirement and will not let you progress past this point.

The quality of this company's poor software structure is again highlighted.

How sad that it does not have Netgear's standard from whom I happily purchased the product.

Picc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having this same crappy runaround experience being required to update the app and the process failing on my iPad. I tried the my.arlo.com page and my "session" timed out and bounced me there as well. JUST when I was thinking about adding another camera to this configuration. I would like access to the legacy app (and would gladly click to agree to terms that it's no longer supported) or get access through a browser page (non-subscription) for access to my camera. So much for being an 'early adopter' of Arlo. I have recommended this system in the past but no longer.

DonaldisDead
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1. So here I have have a Arlo Pro 2 system with an extra camera courtesy of Amazon & its 'Black Friday Sale'. Terrific I think, criminals have moved in,  ave to pay out to protect what we have & Arlo seems to be ta way to do it, or at least one of. I have a iPhone SE, 1st generation, & partner a iPhone 5. Nothing when purchasing mentions 10.3.4 UPWARDS. I can see my Arlo app downloaded  devices working but not the iPhone 5. WHY? Check forums, possibly if you do this it MIGHT work, MIGHT NOT as well. Actually by 10.3.4 we meant AFTER that not inclusive, or so it seems on our iPhone 5. WHY? How do I find out a YES or NO? Does Arlo care? How do I find out if Arlo cares? Does the phrase 'Catch 22' ring a bell, or is it a not-i-fic-ation, that  I should be listening for? Help me out here please Arlo, or do you rely on the kindness of strangers to sort out the vagaries of app downloads, software updates & make people spend more than what they need or should because you have decided that contact & service are no longer considerations in your quest for…money? cost cutting or some other reason that seems in explicable to those who purchased your product and so your interest has now ended. I keep hearing The Clash song "I was born in the U.S.A." I this what Donald Trump meant ny "Making America Great Again?" By the way, what happened to still?  When did it not become great? 
  2. It seems to me that Arlo is for themselves only & the rest of us can get…an answer from some other than them, whether correct or not. Not god enough Arlo.
AussieRTM1
Guide
Guide

Jan 2021 and no response from Arlo to these concerns. I hope all potential,buyer see that this is what you can expect. By comparison despite Some frustration Apple has spent hours with staff helping solve a problem with a new iPhone 8.

Arlo cannot consider themselves a world class company

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation