Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Camera Speaker Unusable. Have to get mouth directly to mic but barely audible.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Stlblues89
Follower
Follower

Very disappointed in Arlo so far. First purchase from Costco was unable to sync with base station. Returned it and exchanged for another Arlo 2. This one connected right away and easily. Started using the camera and app right next to my router, and it keeps having connectivity issues. Biggest problem is the 2 way audio is literally unusable. First of all, whoever programmed the Arlo app for iOS is pulling the audio from the front facing camera Microphone, NOT the main microphone on the bottom of the phone... why? Secondly, even when I talk with my mouth directly against the microphone, it is barely audible, in doors. When I cup my hands to the front of the phone, you can hear it better, but it would never be heard outside, and it’s impractical to do.

Why is the app programmed to pull from that microphone? Am I doing something wrong? The whole reason I bought this camera was to be able to confront unknown people on my property with audio. It appears Arlo won’t be able to do that, especially since it hardly gets connectivity within a 5 foot range of my router...

Edit: also the model I have is VM 3500r4. I would have included that in the “Model” box, but of course Arlo didn’t have that as one of the preselected options, and when I typed it in, it said to “check the model number is correct”, the model number that I got from the Arlo app..... is this a joke? Is the Costco model that much of a piece of junk?

3 REPLIES 3
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Stlblues89,

If you're having problems where your Arlo camera audio is barely audible, try to make sure that your microphone and speaker volume is all the way up on the audio settings. You can do this by going to Settings > My Devices > Choose your Arlo camera > Audio Settings.

Try testing to see if there are any difference when using on WiFi and/or cellular data. You can also try testing by using a different phone device or on the web client on your computer to see if the issue still persists.

sjb-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too, recently purchased from Costco. The audio on my wife's iPhone is audible---the audio from my Samsung 9 android phone is barely audible even with me yelling. Otherwise the system seems to be working as advertised. I've tried all the suggestions here  and online: firmware on base station and cameras are up-to-date, the volume on the camera is all the way up, and I've rebooted and restarted the base system. I'm beginning to think this is a serious bug with Android phones based on what I've read on-line. Trying to fix something at the consumer level that doesn't really work is very frustrating.

Does anyone have an Android phone, specificially a Samsung 9, working with audio on a system with Arlo Pro 2 cameras?

Thanks

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey sjb-arlo,

If you're having problems where the push to talk feature is barely audible on your Android device, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation