Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are Arlo Pro 2 Issues for Real?

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently returned my two-camera Arlo Pro unit and purchased the Arlo Pro 2. Upon reading about all the issues with the Arlo Pro 2 regarding battery life and true quality of resolution, I promptly cancelled the Arlo Pro 2 order pending NetGear providing an update this community on a fix. (I don't see much input from the company on this forum.)

NETGEAR: Please provide a status update on fixes to these reported issues with the ARLO PRO 2.  

COMMUNITY: Until NetGear gets its act together, is there a wireless outdoor alternatve you'd recommend? 

PH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're looking in Settings when you need to be editing your modes. Mode tab, select your base, edit your modes (Armed by default). The FAQs here have full details.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Firstly, the offline issue I have is real. Lots are experiencing this and it's bad, very bad for a security camera.

Secondly, I have no problems with Arlo Pro 1 but I do know some people have.
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes.

I had 6 Arlo Pro 1s since July or so and they had a few quirks every now and then with motion detection and recording for long intervals when there was no activity but otherwise stable and reliable.

I now have 9 Arlo Pro 2s and still have 1 original Pro online for comparison.  These are the issues I have/am experiencing with the Pro 2s:

1) Camera off-line issue - I've been using field-test firmware from Arlo to address this and so far so good for me but I have powered the 1 problematic camera I had and haven't experienced the issue since.  It seems this is the priority issue Netgear is working on from the very minimal amount of communication from them about the various issues

2) CVR recording timeline is not in sync with video - this is extremely frustrating and aggravating and makes this subcription based feature absolutely worthless

3) Night-vision quality is not up to par with the original Arlo - it's dark, pixilated and completely void of fine detail.  I have not experienced the haze issue some have with my cameras but the night quality is very inferior to the original Arlo and as more time goes on I am less optimistic that it can be fixed with a firmware update.  Perhaps they cramed more pixels into the same sized sensor area and have introduced noise as opposed to a simple firmware fix of adjusting framerate or something else.

4) Microphone volume/gain is much lower than the original Arlo.  These Pro 2s don't pick up as much noise.  To me it sounds several times less sensitive than the original Arlos.  Again, hopefully this is a simple fix but if it is, why isn't it fixed yet?

5) Erratic long recordings.  From time to time, I'll have a camera that just starts creating 5 minute long recordings back to back - fortunately this has only occured on my powered cameras thus far.

Are there some positives?  Yes:

1) Daytime video quality is better but not leaps and bounds better.  Nest is much better quality and I suspect much of this has to do with the high compression Arlo seems to be using.  Let us lower compression if we're paying extra for CVR or Premier plan and have powered cameras!

2) The speaker volume is much louder, HOWEVER, trying to speak to someone through is simply doesn't work well as there is too much of a delay and it seems to be choppy/cut-out.  The new Nest cams and the Ring cams have full-duplex audio which works very well

I have been researching the Nest cams much more recently and the new Nest IQ Outdoor camera seems very interesting but it looks like it won't be released for a few more weeks.  I have a few more weeks with my Best Buy Elite Plus return policy so I am hopeful these issues can be addressed through software/firmware but as more time goes on I am less hopeful.

peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed reply to my question.  I pulled the plug on the Amazon order in time to stop, and may reinstate pending any updates from NetGear. Glad I did based on your assessment.  The Nest IQ Outdoor seems promisinh and I suppose I can wait a couple of weeks.

Most shocking is NetGear's refusal to acknowledge these very real issues or to provide info on what it's doing to address. Bad CRM IMHO

Thanks again.     

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cbaileyuk, Johnny45

A recent firmware update for Arlo Pro 2 has been released that may help address the issue you are experiencing with the camera dropping offline. Be sure your Arlo Pro 2 is update to date with the latest firmware version and let us know if you are still experiencing an issue.

JamesC

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
The 15483 new firmware has resolved the offline issue for me.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
What about night vision any better
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Johnny290   Night vision remains the same. Subpar at best......

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Night vision was never an issue for me.
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spoke with NetGear tech support about this. They asserted that the latest firmware update fixes the offline/battery issues. They also said that the Night Vision issue was a result of the lens and how it interacts with the "skin" enveloping the camera. Does your camera use a skin? The tech told me that the night vision is NOT an issue when the camera goes uncovered. I hope to check out that claim this weekend.

Peter

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@peterhimler unfortunately that is not the case. I have not used a skin on my pro 1 or my pro 2.  I replaced my pro 1s and placed the pro 2s in the same exact locations and night vision was instantly and noticeably worse.....  My 1 camera where there are street lights shining in the area isnt as bad as the back yard camera which has no lights but the pro 1 did a MUCH better job in the back yard and skins had nothing to do with it.....

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Thanks for the information
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is very disconcerting to hear. Again, I'm going to install the Pro2 and check this weekend.  

ph

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@peterhimler   Keep us updated. Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have now installed the Arlo Pro 2, which replaced the Arlo Pro. Still tooling with the night vision, but I now have another significant issue: wind.

The wind moving the trees triggers the alert and recording. I thought perhaps it was the noise, but the alerts kept coming when I turned off the microphone.

Is there a way to de-sensitize the video so it doesn’t pick up moving trees and bushes? Right now I’ve had to disarm the camera. Not a good solution, obviously!

Help.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Did you lower the sensitivity or motion detection turn off the sound detection
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant
Under video settings, I don’t see a way to adjust motion sensitivity. I do see a way to adjust “motion detection test.” Does this reduce video sensitivity?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
It's where it says detects motion that's where you turn down the sensitivity
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant
The only setting that’s adjustable is called “Motion Detection Test.” I reduced it to 40% and am still getting constant alerts from trees blowing in the wind. Aargh!
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
You have the picks up sound box unchecked
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant
Under Audio settings, I have the microphone turned off. Is this what your referring to?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Go to mode go to your camera where it says detects audio, uncheck the Box
peterhimler
Aspirant
Aspirant
There does not appear to be an option to reduce the video sensitivity. I can turn off the microphone, but the alerts keep coming unabated. See attached video.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Go to mode go to your camera where it says detects motion there is a little green pencil to the right click on that adjust the motion sensitivity. If that doesn't work you may have to relocate the camera
Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation