Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Anti-Theft Protection For Arlo Pro 2 Mounted Outside

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
pol0g
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello All- I am trying to look for a reliable way to secure the camera when mounted outside at about 9ft high. I can't find anything on the internet that seems strong enough; the solutions I've found so far seemed weak to be frank. I mean, doesn't seem to be a realiable way to deter thieves trying to steal the camera, and the magnets and factory base are easy to get around.

Has anyone found a dome, a base, or an effective way to protect the cameras from being stolen?

Thank you for the advise!

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Some people use the screw mount with a wire tether. I guess if the perp wants the camera, they will get it. I used to be concerned with theft but now I've had cameras on magnet mounts for 3 years and many at around head/face height. No cameras stolen so far. And I figure if they do steal it, I'm likely to get their face on camera anyway (unless they wear a balaclava or something). Have a look at some of the old threads on how people have added more security to their cameras

BrentDeo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo needs to do something urgently to prevent the theft of the cameras themselves. I think the approach should not be a physical mount. My suggestions are (i) to add a feature (via an update) to the existing camera software that prevents it from being synced to a second base station, (ii) to post clearly on their webpages & videos that the cameras cannot work without a base station and once connected to one base station they cannot be synced to another base station.

In the case of legitimate sale of an Arlo camera, the original owner would first have to unsync the camera via the Arlo App before the camera can be synced to another base station.

It should be designed and marketed in such a way that it is clear to potential thieves that the camera is useless, if stolen.

Boostland
Star
Star

Wire tether connected to electric fence would be a interesting deterrent at least you would get a laugh from the perp getting zapped

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation