Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Another VMB4500 Hub flashing orange

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

So my Arlo hub (VMB4500) has been going offline occasionally for much of this year, but lately, it's becoming more and more frequent.  It goes offline and the sole light on the hub flashes orange.  There was a time that powering it off and back on resolved, but lately, that's not very effective.

I tested the power supply and it's putting out the 12V labeled on the wall wart.  I've moved the hub's Ethernet cable from my router to my switch.  Today it's been terrible.  Boots up, goes blue for a few minutes, and then flashes orange.  I'm considering a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's worth the time.

If I do a factory reset, will I have to reconnect every camera and then re-do every rule I have?  Is there a way to back up the configuration and restore it later?  If I choose to buy a new hub, I might get a VMB5000.  In that case, is there any type of "export" function?  Would export/import (if possible) work better if I bought another VMB4500?

Any other ideas for moving forward?  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

If I do a factory reset, will I have to reconnect every camera and then re-do every rule I have?  Is there a way to back up the configuration and restore it later? 

is there any type of "export" function? 

Unfortunately you will need to reconnect cameras, recreate modes+rules, schedule, geofencing, and any other settings.

There is no ability to export/import them.

@bmgoodman wrote:

I'm considering a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's worth the time.

Hard to say, but IMO it is worth a try.

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

One thing seems odd to me.  I did a ping by name when the VMB4500's light was solid blue.  I got an IPv4 reply.  Later, the light went flashing orange.  Ping gave me an IPv6 reply.  Then in a few minutes it went back to solid blue again, but the pings now are still IPv6.  I can ping by IP address and get a reply whether the light is solid blue or orange.  It also seems strange that it's switching between solid blue and flashing orange right now every few minutes.

Could this be a problem with the Arlo site on the back end?  Any reports from other users seeing similar behaviors?

StephenB, thanks for taking time to reply.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

One thing seems odd to me.  I did a ping by name when the VMB4500's light was solid blue.  I got an IPv4 reply.  Later, the light went flashing orange.  Ping gave me an IPv6 reply. 

Have you tried pinging the original IPv4 address at that point?

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Turns out I can ping the IP address and get replies when the light is solid blue and when the light is flashing orange.  Not sure what to do with that.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

Turns out I can ping the IP address and get replies when the light is solid blue and when the light is flashing orange.  

Ok.  Is IPv6 enabled in your router?  If your ISP has given you an IPv4 WAN address, you could try disabling IPv6 and see if it makes any difference.

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your help!  In the end, factory reset didn't help.  My best efforts couldn't keep the hub online more than a few minutes.  I got a new VMB5000 which of course works fine.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation