Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android app update Nov 21 broke app!

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
hcrmomma182
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo app not working on Android since latest phone update. Can use on Iphone, but not the Samsung. Really need this fixed as it is used to monitor elderly person at night. I have not been able to find any information on a fix anywhere. I have unistalled, shut phone down, reinstalled and no luck. It just reads that Arlo has stopped working. I figured there would be a fix by nowl

Deejay315
Tutor
Tutor
We have the same issue on our android phones...I 'chatted' with Arlo Support last night, who put in a repair ticket to resolve issue...but it's not yet been resolved. We are hoping it will be soon!!!!
evarmet
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just installed arlo and it works on my wifes phone but not on my J7. There is a phone # to call for customer service.

jkalbright
Tutor
Tutor
Dont give up yet... hopefully it will be fixed soon BUT it is just their attitude and not keeping all of their user informed as to what is going on.
Make sure you reflect this on the App's Reviews!
I had to download and installan older version (APT file, not from the App store) for now.which works great. Definately TURN OFF Auto Updates on the phone so that the new update won't install again !
Richie02
Aspirant
Aspirant

_5000z1H3v7y:ref

Arlo Support Case # 40586399

Dear ,

Your case has been updated by Arlo Support.

Case #: 40586399

Case Summary: Default

Product: VMC4030P-100NAS

Update from Arlo:

Hi Richard,

Good day! 

Thank you for the prompt response and providing us the information that we have requested. I discussed the case with the team and able to confirm that we have heard similar reports and have identified the issue and diligently working to implement a fix. We are going to forward your case to the appropriate team so your case will be added to the list of affected users. We will provide you an update via email. 

We appreciate your cooperation. 

Kind Regards, 

czarecki
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem - after recent update when trying to open getting erroor "application stop working" - what is going on ?

Reinstallation doesn't help.

Richie02
Aspirant
Aspirant

I let you know if they send some kind of fix..

JRussell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got a new Samsung J7 2018 smartphone a week ago.   The Arlo app worked fine.  Yesterday it quit working - keeps telling me to close the app.   I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times but still won't open.  However I can open My Arlo app on my laptop and see everything just fine.   The camera is recording and working however I just can't see anything on my smartphone.

Trclarke07
Aspirant
Aspirant
ARLO HAS STOPPED. REINSTALLED THE APP. NOTHING. Any ideas
cjohnson9249
Aspirant
Aspirant

My new Samsung J7V is having the same problem. Arlo worked when I first purchased the phone several weeks ago, now Arlo immediately crashes when I try to open it. I have uninstalled and re-installed the latest software several times and still get the same result. Arlo works just fine on my desktop with Windows 7 pro. Any suggestions will certainly be appreciated.

Max4544
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here - just stopped working yesterday. Turned off and on base station and nothing.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

drahcir61
Tutor
Tutor

This is interesting, the app won't launch (it crashes before launching as described above) ... BUT ... I still get notifications on my Galaxy J7 if one of the cams detects motion.  So the system is still working including push notifications but the app itself crashes every time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not just Samsung. Mine is a Nexus 6.

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

English007
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bkk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. App working on my galaxy tablet but not my galaxy j7 prime phone. Was fine before update yesterday

TommyAlb
Initiate
Initiate
app says arlo stopped,how do I fix this?
bdonnelly109
Tutor
Tutor

I've uninstalled and re-installed Arlo 4x and I cannot get the software to work on my phone.  The system works using the PC, but the main purpose is to be able to utilize the Android apps while I"m not home. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

I also checked for any Samsung or Android updates that might have caused a conflict...nada.

Thahks

axcel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the iphone Xs max and I am having the same issue.  My front door camera hasn't recorded any motion in the past 4 days when I usally get on average 8 clips a day.  Also when I go into the app and click play for one of the cameras my app freezes my entire phone.  I've uninstalled the app and am still having issues.  I am also running the current version of the Arlo app and ios 12.1

frank_p
Guide
Guide

I opened a case with customer support yesterday, if you're having this issue please do the same - if there isn't enough people who report this bug, they most likely won't do squat!