Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android app update Nov 21 broke app!

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
shaolin95
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pretty sure he was been sarcastic lol

BILLANDTINA
Initiate
Initiate

I have a Samsung j6 and I too am having trouble with the app.  It opens and immediately closes, saying it has stopped working.  Any help would be appreciated in laymen's terms.  I'm not to tech savey

bulldo
Aspirant
Aspirant

My samsung also started crashing the same way a few days ago. I even went to the at&t store and they didn't know what it could be. Except to say Arlo and The Android systems seam to no longer be compatable.  Does anyone know where to go from here? I've already uninstalled and re-installed the APP.

newmar15
Aspirant
Aspirant
Am I correct that there us no solution if you own a Samsung phone to communicate with my new arlo system?
Johninpa
Tutor
Tutor
Go to the Amazon App store. They have an older version you can download. You may have to download the app store app first, but the older version they have works.
lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

the app should work with Samsung phones. However currently the app is a mess! After the last update there is a lot of problems. Can't get a straight asnwer from support, but hopefully they are working on fixing it.

jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

Best thing to do is to get the previous version of the android app from APKmirror.com.  Just do a search on Arlo and take the one from October.  It will work on Samsung phones.  Make certain you have uninstalled the current one before trying to install the previous version.  Also, turn off auto update apps on your phone or it will lay the defective newer version down over the working version and then you will have to do it all over again.  Hope this helps.  

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

That statement is only partially correct. Not all Samsung phones are affected. My S8 works fine, but others with J7, S8, S9, report app crashes, some don't. Arlo is aware and says they are looking into it.

However, for those affected....... the only fix is to uninstall the Arlo version you have and install the older version of the android app. I never updated and my app is working fine and I didn't lose anything like people who updated.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone was nice enough to share a solution. It works, except EVEN IF you turn off automatic software updates, the damn Google store still tries to download and install the Nov. 21 update that started this mess. UNINSTALL the app from your phone. (I have the Samsun J7) For now, you can go to www.apkmirror.com, search ARLO in the search, scroll down and choose the Oct. 30, 2018 update, which is the last functional one. Download icon is on the right. Do that and you'll get an option to scroll down and choose the APK, which is further down. It will download. Give it a minute or 2, then on your home screen, pull down to check notifications and the downloaded update should appear. Choose the option to INSTALL and then to OPEN, and it should put you back in business. The bad news is, it seems every darn morning the phone tries to download the Nov. 21 crappy update. I was able to stop it this morning when I turned my phone on, but at least you have a way to go back to a working version. Good luck.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

UNINSTALL current app. Go to internet on phone and to www.apkmirror.com. Search ARLO from there. Scroll down and find Oct. 30, 2018 update. Download icon is on the right. Choose download. You'll scroll down and there's a green button with APK options, and scroll down a bit and it shows the older version you want. Choose that and it will download. Wait a couple of minutes to let it download. Then on your home screen on your phone, go to notifications and see if the download is there. If complete, choose INSTALL, and when installed, choose OPEN. You should be good to go. You may have to do this every day until the wizards get the issue resolved, but it works. 

CWest99
Tutor
Tutor

Did as suggested (Amazon Apps). The older app does fix the notifications issues.

Using version 2.5.1_21471 now, until Arlo Techs fix the Nov 21 release.

--Chris

Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks
Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone was nice enough to share a solution. It works, except EVEN IF you turn off automatic software updates, the damn Google store still tries to download and install the Nov. 21 update that started this mess. UNINSTALL the app from your phone. (I have the Samsun J7) For now, you can go to www.apkmirror.com, search ARLO in the search, scroll down and choose the Oct. 30, 2018 update, which is the last functional one. Download icon is on the right. Do that and you'll get an option to scroll down and choose the APK, which is further down. It will download. Give it a minute or 2, then on your home screen, pull down to check notifications and the downloaded update should appear. Choose the option to INSTALL and then to OPEN, and it should put you back in business. The bad news is, it seems every darn morning the phone tries to download the Nov. 21 crappy update. I was able to stop it this morning when I turned my phone on, but at least you have a way to go back to a working version. Good luck.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Henchen8
Aspirant
Aspirant

App is not working or compatile with Samsung Tab S4. Latest Arlo App works fine on my Samsung Note S8. When is App gonna be fixed for Tab S4?? 

piepr2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recieved a new Samsung Galaxy J7 Aura and my arlo app keeps crashing when I try to open it.

PleaseHelpSM
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm on a Samsung j7 with tmobile all was fine until recently
Napa5635
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates yet? Very fustrating
MelF
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo App has been working fine until today. I have restarted and shut down my phone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo App many times. I emailed Support 3 hours ago and have not heard back. Has anyone else had issues today?

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@Napa5635 wrote:
Any updates yet? Very fustrating

None that I know of. I am not sure where they are going to post the fix or how we are notified. I get this feeling that it may be a while before they fix it. I don't know if they work on a fix unless there is a large enough number of people with a issue, I can't tell how many people this is effecting. I don't know what that number or threshold is but guessing on their silence we just may not be above that number of people.

grandpawmoses
Guide
Guide

The Arlo Android App (version 2.6.3_23000) on my family's tablets stop immediately when opened. It works correctly on my Android cell phone though so I'm thinking the problem is the updated app. I have tried restarting the tablet and uninstalling & reinstalling the app but the results are the same. 

I've sent feedback and sent Arlo the question but no reply after several days. I've tried "chat" but it says "chat not available".

Anyone else have the same problem?

Is there anyway to "roll back" the app to a previous version? I'm a novice at computer stuf.

duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Uninstall the app, download the Oct 30th version from here - https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Arlo

once installed go to the Arlo app in the play store and disable auto updates. 

Arlowillie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you
I uninstalled the app
Changed settings in play store to not automatically update and installed the old version it's working fine so far
Thanks
grandpawmoses
Guide
Guide

Thanks much. That worked. Smiley Happy

Dtnr8b
Apprentice
Apprentice
They fixed the ios app for iphones but not for sndroid. WTF
Dtnr8b
Apprentice
Apprentice
Android. Samsung j3 still not able to open app. Oct version does work ok.