Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@JamesC wrote:

The Arlo Development team is currently investigating this topic. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

That is Arlo's response? I feel so much better now. I bet the "team" is up day and night investigating. How about the team switch from investigating to fixing? If you read all 13 pages of complaints from the last 3 days, you should be able to wrap up the investigating apect. Or perhaps the team needs a few more screenshots before it can begin to fix things?

Binaryfool
Star
Star

I'm having a similar issue.

I launched Arlo app on my phone after an update on 11/21/18 and was prompted with permission request "Allow Arlo to make and manage phone calls" I allowed it and app opened fine. However, ever since then, every single time I make or accept a phone call, Arlo app would crash even if I don't have an actual app running and I would not get anymore push notification from the app until I go and launch the application once so the process starts running in the background.

Phone: Galaxy S7 edge

Application version: 2.6.3_23000
Base Firmware: 1.12.0.0_27099
I have 5 cameras, all have Firmware: 1.125.11.3_26229

peebs
Guide
Guide
A more sincere apology from Arlo and its so-called development team would go a long way toward customer satisfaction and retention.

Also, Arlo needs to notify about its broken app and what it is going to do about it, on its main website and community. Not just bury some vague comment about "the development team is looking into it" in a merged thread with 14 pages.

Do companies no longer understand how to give good customer service? Guess not. Looks like it is time for me to write to the media and Arlo's CEO and let them know what is going on. Not that anyone cares ...
Sstu
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine too. Down for several days
Sstu
Aspirant
Aspirant
Should give us full refunds
Sstu
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same phone and same issue. Kind of useless to have a security system I can't monitor. My wife told galaxy 3 still works with the app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

Banjolie
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

Johninpa
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for posting. Got the older app from the Amazon site, a d it works just fine. Thanks again.
Gramels8
Aspirant
Aspirant
I spoke with Arlo support today....they said they aware of issue & working on it...they will email us when it is solved.
Saurstalk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Samsung J3. Same problem as everyone else here - latest update to the app has made the app crash on my phone. I'm assuming (1) no update from Arlo on a fix yet and (2) no official access to old version that worked in the interim. Correct?
Watersfishgills
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem . I dont know if they are trying to fix it. Support acts like they dont know anything
Arlowillie
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also have s7
Can you let me know if there is a fix?
My app keeps crashing and I have to put it to sleep or it drains the battery
Arlowillie
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried that link but can't find a way to open a case
Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

You don't need to open a case at this point. They are fully aware that the app is crashing from their update. Half the people on here have called including myself and it's pointless. The best thing to do is to try and follow what some have done on this thread to get it up and working and keep looking on here to see if they finally fix it.

apcougs1
Aspirant
Aspirant
When I try to open the Arlo app I get a message stating that Arlo has stopped and to Open app again or Send Feedback. This happened right after the new upgrade was installed. How can I fix this?
Arlowillie
Aspirant
Aspirant

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

Did you try to clear the Cache and then Clear Data and run the Arlo app again. Clearing Cache and Data will reset the app back to it's default state as if you just installed the app for the first time. It's a good way to resolve app issues.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
K31
Aspirant
Aspirant
When I go to the arlo app it keeps saying arlo stopped
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

Did you try to clear the Cache and then Clear Data and run the Arlo app again. Clearing Cache and Data will reset the app back to it's default state as if you just installed the app for the first time. It's a good way to resolve app issues.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here. Totally unacceptable. The reason I picked this system was to get alerts on an app.
Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
Moto E 5. It just happened with the new update I guess. I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times.
Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you get a response?
youngbru
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got both my  phone and my wife's  (both Samsung Note 9s) to work by downloading the 10/30/18 version of the app. Have the app set to not update for now. Will change and let it update once things look to be stable again.