Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Already updated case but says that I never updated

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
drandvn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got an email that said my case  needed updating. I already updated my case to say that for some reason my cameras started working again before I did anything that you "suggested". So now I am updating again. The original complaint was that 3 of my 5 cameras were not detecting motion. My cameras are now all working again. Thank you for nothing. The Pro 2 is disappointing in that it doesn't have the resolution to record a license plate at 25 feet. My eyes can do better than that.

But now I am being charged $10.89 on my credit card. For what I ask?

A second charge on my card is for $1.00. What is this for?

I tried going to arlo/support and clicked on contact. I was referred to a sales site. No place to even chat. After several tries I got to this site, so I can finally say something. My case # is 42524163. I wont' buy another ARLO.

The pop up says I have to correct highlighted errors and try again. There are no highlighted errors.

What now? I will hit send again.

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

The $10.59 is for Smart Premier  subscription. I have the same charge but $10.89 with tax in my state. Many times a $1.00 charge is to just to check that the  card is valid and gets refunded in a day or so. Many Companies do it. 

Not even the 2K or 4K can read a license plate usually at 25 feet much less 1080 resolution. 

drandvn
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK. I got the message. Cameras working ok now. They started doing so without my doing anything.

Disappointed that ARLO Pro 2 cameras can't catch a license plate number at 25 feet. My eyes can at least do that. I was hoping for a snapshot capability but I guess that is too hard.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You do realize that the camera is 1080p at best resolution plus the compression. Take any picture at that resolution with a decent amount of compression and try to get details 25 feet out.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drandvn wrote:

Disappointed that ARLO Pro 2 cameras can't catch a license plate number at 25 feet. My eyes can at least do that. 

Don't discount your eyes. With an 130 degree field of view, you'd need an 8K camera to approximate human visual acuity (assuming you have normal 20-20 vision).  And that is ignoring compression.

Even In ideal lighting conditions you need about 50 pixels per foot to read a license plate, and many recommend 100 ppf.  At 25 feet, the Pro 2 delivers about 30 ppf in the center of the image.  So it's not nearly enough (again, ignoring compression). 

Cameras designed for license plate recognition have much narrower fields of view (30 degrees or less, compared to 130 degrees offered by the Pro 2).   Illumination also plays into this - even if the scene is well lit, glare from the sun or headlights will make the plate impossible to read.  So the cameras also need to be carefully positioned.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation