Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Adding an email

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
NMR
Follower
Follower

We have Arlo Pro 2 with 3 cameras and a base station. It is set up and works perfectly with my husband’s email address. He invited me and I loaded the Arlo secure app but get message that no Arlo devices are detected. 

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NMR wrote:

We have Arlo Pro 2 with 3 cameras and a base station. It is set up and works perfectly with my husband’s email address. He invited me and I loaded the Arlo secure app but get message that no Arlo devices are detected. 

For some reason accepting the invite often doesn't work on the phone.

Click on "Create Account" Link in the invitation on a PC/Mac.  That will open up your browser to my.arlo.com.  Log into your account, and you should see the cameras.  After this, you'll see the cameras in the app also.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an existing Arlo system and I'm setting up another system for my daughter at her house(new account for her). Got everything going and went to add myself as a user by granting access to myself. It just shows pending and I never got an email. The email I'm sending it to is my existing Arlo account email as I want to be able to see both Arlo systems at the same time. I've deleted the user, added it back several times and send reminder multiple times and it never sends me an email. It's assuredly not in spam, and I get my notifications from Arlo daily to that same email so I know Arlo can send me emails.

How can I get this working?

Dannybear
Master
Master

Are you using the mobile to accept the email invite, try using a pc.

Dannybear
Master
Master

My bad, try using the pc browser to the web portal to grant access to see if it generates the email.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tried both mobile app and web. Just deleted my invite a few minutes ago again, and re-added but still no invite to my existing Arlo account.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drquest wrote:

I've tried both mobile app and web.

To send the invite?  Or to accept it?

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sending the invite. I've never received an invite to accept it to my existing Arlo account.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drquest wrote:

Sending the invite. I've never received an invite to accept it to my existing Arlo account.

It's possible the email is being blocked by your provider.  Is this comcast per chance?

One option is to temporarily change your email address to a different one, and then change it back after accepting the invite.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's not being blocked that I can tell as I get notification emails from Arlo right now for my cameras on the same email. I'm just adding this same email as a friend on my daughter's Arlo at her house and the email never reaches me. I did add one of my other emails to it and that invite came through, but I want to use my admin account on mine so I can see all of the cameras in one view.

oldgranola
Tutor
Tutor

AFter arlo app ugrade, wife can't log in. Says 'invalid email'. Tried uninstall >>reinstall still have problem. So I deleted her email from shared accounts and sent her a new invite. She opened the invite and followed the links to 'create account'. But even there, when she manually enters her email it said 'invalid email' and doesn't let her proceed to next steps. On my phone the invite still says 'pending'. Why won't it accept her email? I can see that it is correct. I also entered her email myself on her phone and it still won't accept it. What gives?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have her try clicking on the "create account" link on a PC.  That will open up the browser to my.arlo.com.  From there, she should log into her existing account.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drquest wrote:

I did add one of my other emails to it and that invite came through, but I want to use my admin account on mine so I can see all of the cameras in one view.

So change your admin account email to match the one that works.  Then accept the invite, and change the email back.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sort of tried that already, and since there's two accounts, it won't let me change my main account to that email, since that already exists.

I think the only workaround I've found is to invite this other email to be a friend on my main account, and on my daughter's account. Unfortunately this limits me a little since that account doesn't have full control of my account, but I can see both camera systems under one login now.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drquest wrote:

Sort of tried that already, and since there's two accounts, it won't let me change my main account to that email, since that already exists.

Sounds like you have a workaround, but not ideal.

Do you have cameras onboarded to that third account?  If not, you could just delete it.  Then change the email of your main account to that address, go through the invite process yet again, and then change it back.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the original account is my admin and I added myself as a friend on it so I can see those, and as a friend on my daughter's account which lets me see both.

I would have been happy to just use one account for all of the cameras, but the maximum amount of cameras is 5 before I would have to pay for additional cameras and I'm over that because this is two two locations. 

This method works, but I don't understand why the friend request email never makes it to my main email account. Everything else from Arlo does, alerts, messages from this board, ads for signing up for additional services etc. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drquest wrote:

This method works, but I don't understand why the friend request email never makes it to my main email account. Everything else from Arlo does, alerts, messages from this board, ads for signing up for additional services etc. 

Arlo uses multiple email services.  Alerts for example are sent through amazonses.com (amazon simple email service).  Community forum emails I get come through us.khoros-mail.com. Promotional emails I get come directly from e.arlo.com. 

There could be some other services/servers they are using. I don't know what service Arlo uses for friend invitations.  You might want to look at what service they are using on the emails you received on the second account..

Blocks can happen both at the receiving side and the sending side.  Comcast for example has a policy of rejecting mail sent through amazonses.com - likely because that service is often used to send spam/nuisance emails. 

There are some (not explained) scenarios where Arlo will blacklist an email destination - and they might do that for some of their email services, but not all. if you can contact support, you could give them specifics on the destination that isn't receiving the friend invite, and if they are blacklisting it, they should be able to whitelist it. 

If your daughter has the trial or paid subscription in place, you can access support from the app using her account.  Go into the support area of the app (using her credentials).  Go into settings, and select support.  Select one of the cameras in her subscription plan, and then scroll down to the contact section.  You will see phone support there.  

Don't try to google for a phone number, that will lead you to a scam support site.

drquest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still can't get a validation email to come to my main admin Arlo account. It's my two factor email as well, so I get those emails from my own account, but possibly that's different than sending invitations. 

At this point the only workaround was to create a completely new Arlo account with a different email and send an invite from my Arlo cameras, and from my daughter's Arlo cameras and accept that. I'm not using my admin account to see both, but it does work but I shouldn't have needed to create another account to make this work.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation