Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Adding Arlo device that are located far away

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
blueHero
Follower
Follower

I have a Arlo camera system (4 cameras + smart hub/base station) that is far away.  The system works great for the most part, but once in a while it stops working.  It shows that the camera's are offline and the base station is offline.

When I call technical support they want me to remove and re-add the devices.  I have to have someone get all the devices and ship them back to me.

Is there another way to do this?   What if I got a internet router with ZeroTier on it and then connected my iPhone with Arlo app to this ZeroTier virtual network.  Would I be able to see those broadcast packets and add the device remotely?

I am trying to find ways to get the system back up and running without having them shipped to me every time.  Any recommendations? 

3 REPLIES 3
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Unfortunately you need to have local network access for your mobile via local wifi or your pc via Ethernet to the local router to make system changes.

One option is to have remote access to a local pc and use the website login.

Another option is to give someone your arlo login credentials and have them make the changes. Just change your password when completed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@blueHero wrote:

Is there another way to do this?   What if I got a internet router with ZeroTier on it and then connected my iPhone with Arlo app to this ZeroTier virtual network.  Would I be able to see those broadcast packets and add the device remotely?

Not sure how ZeroTier handles broadcast packets.  Most VPNs need to be turned off during onboarding.

But you will need physical access to the cameras and the base (pressing sync on the cameras, and perhaps also you will need to reset the base using a paper clip). 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@blueHero wrote:

I have a Arlo camera system (4 cameras + smart hub/base station) that is far away.  The system works great for the most part, but once in a while it stops working.  It shows that the camera's are offline and the base station is offline.

Have you ever had someone just power cycle the base instead of shipping it back to you? If that were to work, a WiFi switch that the base plugs into would be useful - you'd just use the switch app to turn power off and then back on. One of the issues with the older bases is that a power glitch/outage can cause the base to be ready before the router so power cycling the base with the switch would be easy and cheap.

ANother solution would be to use a UPS for your modem, router and base to help fly through most outages which also has the side effect of keeping your cameras working during that outage.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation