Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Add on Camera

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Smoothhound
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Pro 2 system, I need an additional camera - can I add any Arlo camera?

Do Arlo 3 cameras need a subscription to record to the cloud?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smoothhound wrote:

All the newer cameras need a subscription for cloud recording - that began in 2018 when the Ultra was launched.  

That includes the Ultra, Ultra 2, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4,  Go 2, Essential cameras and doorbells.

@Smoothhound wrote:

can I add any Arlo camera?

That depends on the base. You can add any camera if you have a VMB4xxx base.  If you have a VMB3xxx base, then you either need to add a camera that can directly connect to your home wifi, or you will need a new base.  If you aren't sure what you have, look for a VMBxxxx label on the base.

Cameras that can connect directly to your home wifi include the Pro 3 floodlight (not the Pro 3), the Pro 4 and all Essential cameras. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smoothhound wrote:

All the newer cameras need a subscription for cloud recording - that began in 2018 when the Ultra was launched.  

That includes the Ultra, Ultra 2, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4,  Go 2, Essential cameras and doorbells.

@Smoothhound wrote:

can I add any Arlo camera?

That depends on the base. You can add any camera if you have a VMB4xxx base.  If you have a VMB3xxx base, then you either need to add a camera that can directly connect to your home wifi, or you will need a new base.  If you aren't sure what you have, look for a VMBxxxx label on the base.

Cameras that can connect directly to your home wifi include the Pro 3 floodlight (not the Pro 3), the Pro 4 and all Essential cameras. 

Smoothhound
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you - much appreciated

tencherman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Smoothhound,

I've raised an almost identical Q. a few minutes ago (hadn't seen yours!) and understand the answer is "Yes" but very much with numerous provisos on what features do, and do not, work. Pro 3 cameras definately work but, assuming here you get a 'new' one, you only get all the features that come with a subscription and that trial period is 'live' for 3 months only.

After that it's buy an Arlo Secure sub or stay 'free' and retain only live streaming at a lower resolution which is a bit pointless unless you sit on the app or PC just looking at live streams (and if your life consists of that you have bigger problems than compatibility!)

Yes, cams above Pro 2 are 'compatible' but only in a limited sense - Arlo don't exactly go out of their way to point this out. Naughty.

If you wish to remain sub free than you have to stick with Pro 2 cams, or below. The maximum number of cams on the free sub is 5.

I'm hoping for some responses to my query which might assist you.

Crispin

tencherman
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you look at my query you'll see I have an Arlo Q as well as x3 Pro 2 cams. Although the Q is an indoor camera I have it outside under a covered  porch watching the front door - works perfectly and the resolution is better than the Pro 2s, probably because it is wired (power) and links directly to a router. All four record to the cloud and footage is viewed from the app and held for 7 days.

Crispin

Smoothhound
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi tencherman,

Grateful that you're reaching out and great reply, thank you. It does seems it's a 'Yes (with caveats)'. I've a base station that is a 4000, so confident that I can add on more devices, just that I was hoping that Arlo might have been a bit more generous with freebie subscription plans. Obviously not!

I'll keep an eye on your query too - thanks again Crispin, much appreciated.

tencherman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Smoothhound - just to let you know StephenB has answered my query. Makes sense but it would have been good to see how an Arlo Secure  subscription benefitted the 4 older cams (at no/negligible cost to them) - Arlo  missed a trick there .... again.

Smoothhound
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi tencherman,

Seen the reply. I'm with you, extending the storage to existing devices would go a long way to the retention of loyal customers. Hope the configuration goes well,  

All the best,

Smoothhound

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation