Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO 2 Pro base station with siren??

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

I want to buy one of these but I am not sure why the base station is needed? And i see it has a siren on it? If you are only using the cameras for outside why and whats the point of the siren inside the house?? i am confused

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

With the Arlo. Pro , and Pro2 ( also Ultra ) , the base sets up it's own secure wifi network that talks ONLY to the cameras.

You can use the siren for an alert if you so desire ( or not ).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

is that so other things on your wifi dont interupt the signal? so that siren is more so for people using the cameras for indoor security while home in bed per say?

brh
Master
Master

@elykoj,

the communications between the base and the cameras use a different frequency than the incoming wifi does. This is a security feature. The siren can be activated/deactivated manually as well, so if you know an intruder is in the house you can set it to sound so that he knows he has been detected. Or you can have it sound when a camera has detected motion if you set up a custom mode that you use when you are away from home. Even outside, the intruder will know that he has been detected. I have a professional alarm system with a very loud siren and two Pro bases with sirens. If they are all set off at once, it will definitely hurt the intruder's ears.

Brian

Dannybear
Master
Master
Can I please add that I find the base siren very loud when I’m close to the base and it activates.
Having said this the siren noise is contained within the room it is located in, so it is good in some respects, if the intruder enters that room. Not so good if the intruder entry is elsewhere in the home.

Having the siren located in the camera such as with the ultra, I would suggest is inviting the loss of that camera.

I know that the chime is an option for a remote siren although it’s not designed for this application and have not tried it to see if practical.

The only other option I see is to purchase a second base station to use as a siren but obviously not cheap and not readily available where I live.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@elykoj wrote:

I want to buy one of these but I am not sure why the base station is needed?

Without a base station your cameras are useless.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation