Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 Second Look back work on Wireless?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
TashGaia
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.

I have some Arlo Pro 1 cameras and am happy with them (except for some nightvision issues I am experiencing related to wet/cold) and was thinking of adding a Pro 2 to the network. I am concerned about the Pro 2 nightvision issues that I am reading about on the forums, but am tentatively still willing to get one. However, one of the main features that I want from the Pro2 is the 3 second look back on motion videos etc... does that work when the camera is on battery power, or does it have to be plugged in for that feature? How exactly does it work? I am imaging it where for example, my camera is triggered by a rabbit running across the yard. Normally the camera cuts in after the rabbit has taken a couple of hops into the frame already. My imagination says that the 3 second buffer would basically grab those first few hops. Is this true?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

is the 3 second look back on motion videos etc...does that work when the camera is on battery power, or does it have to be plugged in for that feature? 

Yes.....  the 3 second look back is ONLY functional when on ac power. ( the camera is always streaming and adds the 3 seconds to the front end of the triggered recording )

When on batteries, the Pro2 is more like a Pro ... so if running on batteries there , IMO, no real advantage of the Pro2

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TashGaia
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

Frankarlo
Star
Star
For the look back feature to work, it says “plugged in” meaning
1. Battery in camera and usb power adapter connected.?
2. Battery NOT in camera and usb power adapter connected?

I’m running on option 1 abowe and look back is not working. Do you really need to remove the battery to get it running?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. As long as the camera is using AC power the look-back feature should work. Watch a video carefully - you should see it start and then see the motion that activated the recording. It may be subtle.  Post a video link if you need us to look.

Frankarlo
Star
Star

Ok I did more testing under controlled circumstances. 3 sec look back works with the battery in the camera and the USB AC adapter plugged in. I can also confirm it does not matter which cable and USB adatoer you use. In my tests I used a Samsung AC adapter and a micro USB cable from another device.

IMG_0211.JPG

3 sec look back works:

Running only on AC: 

Running on battery and AC:

3 sec look back does not work:

only running on battery:

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The power supply can make a difference depending on the supply as well as the camera model. In general, the cameras are designed around 5v to run the camera and 9v to charge. I suspect your Samsung supply is a 5v/9v one so should work with no issues. I think it's the Pro 2 cameras that will work and charge (slowly) off a 5v supply but the Pro cameras will not, apparently needing a slightly higher 5v output (5.2v-ish). I may have that backwards but that's the general idea.

Frankarlo
Star
Star
Ok I get it. Yes the Samsung used in my tests is 5/9V max 2A @ 9V.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation