Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

2FA problems. Not receiving authentication notification and all login attempts fail immediately

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
Locutus73
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, I used 2FA successfully until today with these devices:

• iPhone SE on iOS12 as main trusted device (used for 2FA notifications)
  • Apple Watch paired to the iPhone SE (with very cool notifications with authorize button)
  • iPad Air on iOS12 as secondary trusted device
  • Various Mac/PC which where authorized through the iPhone SE or Apple Watch

All worked wonderfully until I updated the iPhone to iOS13.

Suddenly it didn't receive any authentication notification and all my login attempts done with a browser on a PC/Mac failed immediately (no spinning wheel waiting for the authorization).

So I removed my iPhone SE from the trusted devices list and promoted the iPad Air as the main trusted device.

At this point I regained the ability to login through a browser, getting authentication notifications on the iPad.

I tried to open the app on the iPhone SE and it automatically logged in as if the iPhone was trusted... very bad.

I deleted and reinstalled the app on the iPhone SE and this time the system sent the authentication notification to the iPad... very good... then the iPhone app asked if I wanted to add my iPhone to the trusted devices, I said yes, and I got a long wait spinning wheel and, finally, an error message. After the error message I had again the option to trust or distrust the device; I tried several time to trust it with no succes, so I distrusted it... but I got access to the app and I could access again, even after a reboot, as if the iPhone was trusted, but it wasn't in the trusted list.

So I tried various times to delete the app, reinstall the app, log in and trust, but I always got the same error during the trust process.

So, my current situation is:

• The iPad Air, which is a "secondary device" to me (I don't have it always with me), is the only and main trusted device receiving authentication notifications.
  • Every time I access on a PC to the web app I get the notification on the iPad instead of iPhone+Watch which is unconvenient.
  • The iPhone isn't in the list of the trusted devices, it can't be added to it due to a system error and consequentely it can't be upgraded to the main trusted device receiving the notifications.

Please solve this mess as soon as possible.

My Arlo account is always the same (support guys/girls here already asked me that in the past).

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We appreciate everyone's patience regarding this. This should be fixed now on the latest Arlo iOS app, which is version 2.9.1. Feel free to let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
sirgalahad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same exact issue here.
Ericlee
Initiate
Initiate

The ability in Arlo smart to  remove trusted devices and add a new trusted devices. I recently upgraded my phone and I am no longer able to use two-step verification. Whenever I try to login I am automatically rejected. I think you're going to run into this problem quite frequently.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our development team is aware about the issue where users are not receiving notification from Two-Step verification when logging in and is currently investigating the problem. We appreciate your patience and understanding about this and will provide any update as soon as we have more information to share.

Locutus73
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP the problem I described is not only not receiving the notifications. I mean that was the initial problem, but not the biggest one.

The big problem here is that I removed my iPhone from the trusted devices and I cannot add it back, so even if you resolve the missing notifications bug, I won’t be able to use them where I need them.

Thank you in advance.

Regards. 

TenStrider
Aspirant
Aspirant
curtismu
Aspirant
Aspirant

1) I can not add a trusted device for "Push notifications" it just times out.

2)  Now that I have added SMS, I can not go back and add Push.  

3)  #2 I assume is due to the fact, that I can not delete all devices (Must have master device), to start over.  

4)  As others have stated the fact that I have to do SMS for 3rd parties is very annoying (browser on laptop)

5)  I should be able to do both Push and SMS, I can have a default, but should be able to change it

dfp42
Star
Star

This is not only a problem with notification-based authentication. After this failed repeatedly, I tried using SMS as a second factor. Got a message "Unable to add this trusted device." The entire 2FA function for this app is bogus.

hquintino
Guide
Guide

Hi,

triyng to acess My Arlo via Web and since new update i get a "can´t recognize your device" error.

I should receive a Push Notification on mobile phone (Android 9) but receive nothing.

No problem geting motion notif. on mobile phone/ App...

Can please help?

Locutus73
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP 

I updated Arlo App to 2.9.1 and I was able to setup my iPhone again as trusted device; thank you.
I suggest you to implement a function to change the main 2FA device: in order to enable my iPhone as main device I had to delete my iPad (previously main device), upgrade the iPhone as main 2FA device and readd the iPad.

Regards.

hquintino
Guide
Guide

I now manage do go arround this by turning off the "2 steps verification" in my profile, the problem is receiving the push message to validate my Desktop as a Trusted Device.

Any advice?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We appreciate everyone's patience regarding this. This should be fixed now on the latest Arlo iOS app, which is version 2.9.1. Feel free to let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation