Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

1 of 3 Arlo Pro 2 cams stopped communicating

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JohnWickII
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there, I have 3 Pro 2 cameras connected to the base station. All are placed outside. 2 are on battery but covered by the roof overhang. The third overlooks the driveway and is more exposed to the elements, but is powered by wire. A few nights ago we had very heavy rains. The next day I was not getting movement notifications from this camera. I also could not connect to it through the iOS app to see live video. The other two work fine as usual. It is now sending movement notifications, but no video is being captured or stored and I still cannot connect through the app for live video. Is the USB port a weak spot that needs to be sealed for outdoor use? I had used the included USB plug and cable. Any thoughts on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you’re inclined, can you try turning off the camera’s mains adapter or remove the USB plug what ever is easiest and cause a motion detection again, then try live viewing the camera again to see if it works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dannybear
Master
Master
Out of interest, can you provide more detail on the exact error you get when you try and live view the camera using the App. E.g. is it saying that the camera has lost connection to the internet or is it saying connecting and eventually times out.
If the latter, are you able to access the camera settings page?
JohnWickII
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

The app tries to connect but eventually times out. I am able to go into that cameras settings through the app.  Also interesting, I just tried to connect live through the web browser and had my son run out there. It worked.  I again got an alert through the app, but no recorded video was stored according to both the browser and the app.

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you’re inclined, can you try turning off the camera’s mains adapter or remove the USB plug what ever is easiest and cause a motion detection again, then try live viewing the camera again to see if it works.
JohnWickII
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.

i pulled the USB cable and sure enough the live feed worked. It’s also started capturing the video and storing for viewing on the iOS app.  I plugged it back in since I like the activity zone feature.  It cuts down unnecessary alerts.  All is well again.

A little concerned that i don’t have a reason behind why it happened, but hopefully if the issues returns I can connect a few more dots as to the cause.

Dannybear
Master
Master
I don’t have enough information yet to pinpoint a cause.
I know that you do get files saved on the backup USB if installed but these files don’t contain any video, just the mp4 file headers of about 2kb in length.
Going forward, when it occurs again, try going into the camera’s video settings on the App and wait for the video thumbnail to update.
I think that this is how the base station can restart the camera’s internal encoding process.
This is easier and can be done remotely.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Additional to the above is to make sure the camera is not trying to stream because of a activity when you go into the video settings for the fix to work.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation