How do I view Arlo videos saved on an SD card?

How do I view Arlo videos saved on an SD card?

This article applies to:

All Arlo video recordings are stored to the cloud, but you can connect an SD card to your Arlo Go or Arlo Q Plus camera and use the SD card as a second location to store Arlo recordings locally. Local storage to an SD card cannot be used on its own as a substitute for cloud recording.

If you need to set up local storage on your Arlo Go camera for the first time, visit How do I set up local backup SD card storage on my Arlo Go camera?.

To view videos saved on a local storage SD card, you must remove the SD card from your Arlo Go or Arlo Q Plus camera. Always eject SD cards safely in your camera's settings, as described in this article. After you eject an SD card, cloud recording is still enabled, but SD card recording is disabled as soon as you remove the SD card.

To view the files on your SD card, you need an SD card reader, often called a memory card reader. Most computers do not come equipped with an SD card reader, but many inexpensive readers are available with standard USB or Micro USB connectors. If you purchase an SD card reader, make sure that you choose one that can read Micro SD cards.

To view videos saved on a local storage SD card:

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
  2. Select Settings > My Devices and tap or click on the Arlo Go or Arlo Q Plus camera into which your SD card is inserted.
  3. Select Local Storage.
  4. Tap or click > next to SD Card.
    Note: If you named your SD card using a computer, the name displays instead.
  5. Tap or click Safely Eject SD card.
  6. Wait for the Unmounting SD card progress message to close, then remove the SD card from your camera. 
    Warning: Do not interrupt power to the camera or remove the SD card while the SD card is being unmounted.
    Insert the SD card into the Micro SD card slot in your card reader.
  7. Wait for the SD card to appear in the available drives on your computer, then open the drive folder to view the files on your SD card.
  8. Open the Arlo folder.
    Recorded videos are saved in this folder in MP4 format. Video files are named according to this system: Camera name_Recording number (xxxxxx)_Date of recording (yyyymmdd)_Time of recording (hhmmss). If the camera is not connected to the cloud when it records the video, video files are named according to this system:  Camera name_Recording number (xxxxxx).
    Note: If you are unable to play MP4 files on your computer, update your media player software to the latest version and try again. You can also download a free universal multimedia player, such as VLC.

Last Updated:10/01/2021 | Article ID: 1202593

Was this article helpful?

image description Yes image description No

Arlo Community

Learn from other Arlo users like you and experts that are offering up best practices and answering some common questions. Get involved and suggest your own topics to discuss as well.

Ask the Community

Contact Us

Have additional questions? Try our live chat or give us a call. Our team of Arlo experts is ready to answer your questions and help in any way that we can.

Contact Support