How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

28 people found this helpful in last 30 days

How do I set up local storage backups using my Arlo SmartHub or Base Station?

This article applies to:

This article is for the Arlo Secure App experience with Library. If you have the Arlo Secure App experience with Feed, visit: How do I set up local storage backups using my Arlo SmartHub or Base Station? - Arlo Secure 4.0

Most Arlo cameras can record to local storage when synched to an Arlo SmartHub or Base Station. For more information about recording locally to a VMB5000 SmartHub, visit: How do I record 4K videos to a local storage device?

Important:

• If you connect a USB device, the camera records to both the cloud and the USB device. If the camera and Base Station or SmartHub are powered on, but your Internet connection goes down, the camera continues to record to the USB device.
  • The Arlo Secure App notifies you if the USB device is low on storage space or is full. If you select automatic overwrite, the oldest recordings are automatically deleted when available storage on the USB device is below 20%. Unrelated files that are not in the Arlo folder are not deleted by automatic overwrite.
  • Only automatically triggered recordings are saved locally to the connected USB device. Manual recordings are only saved to the cloud.

Required hardware:

• An Arlo SmartHub or Base Station with a USB port.
    Note: The VMB5000 SmartHub does not have a USB port, but instead has a microSD card slot.
  • A USB 2.0 compatible flash drive or external hard drive with a Type-A connector and at least 16GB of available space.
    Note: Network-attached storage (NAS) devices and drives with multiple partitions are not currently supported.
    WARNING: Do not use the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station to format storage devices with more than 2 TB of storage capacity. The Base Station formats storage devices using the FAT32 file system, which supports a maximum of 2 TB of storage space. The formatting process reduces the capacity of larger storage devices to a maximum of 2 TB.

To set up local backup storage on an Arlo SmartHub or Base Station:

1. Plug the USB device into one of the two USB ports on the back of the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.
  2. Launch the Arlo Secure App or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
  3. Tap or click Settings > My Devices.
  4. Tap or click the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station into which you inserted the USB device.
  5. If you see a green circle next to USB DISK and the status message Ready, skip to step 8.
    Note: If you already named your USB Device using a computer, the name displays instead of USB Device 1. If you insert a second unnamed USB device, it displays as USB Device 2.
    If you see the message Requires Formatting next to USB DISK or USB Device 2, the USB device is not in the correct format (FAT32). You must format the USB device before you can use it for local storage.
    WARNING: Formatting the USB device erases all data from the device. If you want to keep any files that are on the USB device, copy those files to another location before you format the USB device. Do not use the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station to format storage devices with more than 2 TB of storage capacity. The formatting process reduces the capacity of larger storage devices to a maximum of 2 TB.
  6. To delete all files on your USB device and format it for local video storage:
    • Tap or click next to the USB device that you want to format.
    • Tap or click Format USB Device.
    • Wait for USB Device Status to change from Formatting to Ready.
      WARNING: Do not remove the USB device while it is formatting. The USB device might become permanently unusable.
  7. If you do not want old videos to be deleted when your USB device is low on storage space, tap or click the slider next to Automatic Overwrite to turn it off.
    If automatic overwrite is turned off, the Arlo Secure App notifies you when storage gets low so that you can enable local storage backup on a different USB device. If storage is completely full and automatic overwrite is turned off, videos are only recorded to the cloud until you turn on automatic overwrite or enable a different USB device.

Note: If you want a second USB device for when your first USB device is full, you can follow the same steps to add a second USB device, but you can only enable one USB device at a time.

For more information about local storage, visit:

Last Updated:04/19/2024 | Article ID: 1146857

Was this article helpful?

image description Yes image description No

Arlo Community

Learn from other Arlo users like you and experts that are offering up best practices and answering some common questions. Get involved and suggest your own topics to discuss as well.

Ask the Community

Contact Us

Have additional questions? Try our live chat or give us a call. Our team of Arlo experts is ready to answer your questions and help in any way that we can.

Contact Support