How can I reduce video streaming lag or delays when viewing my Arlo Baby camera?

How can I reduce video streaming lag or delays when viewing my Arlo Baby camera?

This article applies to:

Arlo Baby has two different viewing modes depending on what Wi-Fi network and viewing device you are using to stream the video from:

• When you are viewing Arlo Baby video on an iOS or Android device that is on the same Wi-Fi network as Arlo Baby, the video stream is sent to your viewing device right away, so you can view video from your camera with only a small delay.
    This is called local streaming.
  • When you are viewing Arlo Baby video on any computer or on a mobile device that is not on the same Wi-Fi network as Arlo Baby, the video stream is sent to the Arlo cloud first and then to your viewing device, which can cause delays because of latency.
    For example, if your mobile device is on the LTE network instead of your Wi-Fi network, you will experience delays when streaming Arlo Baby video.

To reduce delays when streaming video from your Arlo Baby camera at home, make sure that you are viewing Arlo Baby video on a mobile device that is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Arlo Baby camera.

Note: Some routers have a secure network and guest network. Make sure that your mobile device and your Arlo Baby camera are connected to the secure network. For security reasons, you cannot use local streaming while connected to a guest network.

You can still use local streaming while your mobile device is connected to a different Wi-Fi band from Arlo Baby (for example, Arlo Baby is connected to a 2.4GHz network and your mobile device is connected to a 5 GHz network). If they are connected to the same Wi-Fi router or access point, local streaming works.

To view the Wi-Fi network Arlo Baby is connected to:

For the Arlo Secure App experience with Feed:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Devices.
  3. Select the Arlo Baby camera.
  4. Tap .
  5. Note the name of the currently connected Wi-Fi network next to Connected to.

To connect Arlo Baby to a different Wi-Fi network, visit: How do I change the Wi-Fi network that my Arlo device is connected to? - Arlo Secure 4.0

For the Arlo Secure App experience with Library:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap My Devices.
  4. Select the Arlo Baby camera.
  5. Note the name of the currently connected Wi-Fi network next to Connected to.

To connect Arlo Baby to a different Wi-Fi network, visit: How do I change the Wi-Fi network that my Arlo device is connected to?

Last Updated:07/10/2023 | Article ID: 1284065

Was this article helpful?

image description Yes image description No

Arlo Community

Learn from other Arlo users like you and experts that are offering up best practices and answering some common questions. Get involved and suggest your own topics to discuss as well.

Ask the Community

Contact Us

Have additional questions? Try our live chat or give us a call. Our team of Arlo experts is ready to answer your questions and help in any way that we can.

Contact Support