Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Top Contributors

"Snapshot" Of What A Camera Can See Live For Devices Dashboard Screen

Sometimes I just want to check in on my dogs to see if they're sleeping, window watching, etc. I'd like if there was a way to get a quick "snapshot" of what's happening. Right now the devices "dashboard" shows a still frame of the last recorded motion on all camera. On cameras I don't have set to record, ever, (my interior cams) it shows the last frame from the last time I viewed the live stream. So, to get a "snapshot" of what's happening, I have to live view, wait for it to load, see what's happening, then close the stream. 

I'd like if there was a shortcut button or preferrably a setting for a camera (all cameras? select cameras?) to refresh and show a live still frame on the dashboard. Either by press of the button to simply update the preview, or, a setting toggle to refresh the camera preview on page refresh or at a given interval (0-60 min)

4 Comments
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Novice

The thumbnails are routinely 2-3 days old when I pull up the main screen. Ring has a great solution to this that allows a quick refresh when you pull up the main screen that just grabs a thumbnail quickly and refreshes. Anyway this can be done? The only thing my wife and I don’t like about these cameras is this. We prefer a live view whenever you pull the app up, but I understand with these being battery powered that’s impossible. This would be a good compromise. Maybe a setting with a warning that this may lower battery life?

Novice

Ring does this. Very important feature. Will lower battery life, but no more than making us load a live stream every time we just want to see a refreshed screenshot. Auto refresh every time the dashboard is pulled up! At least an option in settings with a warning this may affect battery life. It only would grab the low resolution thumbnails when the app is loaded. I think with rich notifications you may have this functionality already baked in. Give it to the dashboard please.