Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Update Snapshots at regular intervals

I've seen suggestions for an "emergency record" mode, where one click would begin recording all cams.  I have suggestions for a couple things:

1. Allow for an updated snapshot at regular intervals, not just at the last motion detected.  For example, even if no motion has been detected for days, updating the snapshots displayed in the Arlo dashboard every hour, two hours, or whatever would be great.  I wouldnt have to click "LIVE" and then "PAUSE" on each camera separately just to get an idea of how things are looking currently.
  2. A button to make all cameras live simultaneously as well as a "pause all" would be great also.  Or, related to above, just a button to refresh snapshots on demand.
Comments
Mad4erit
Novice

Any update on this one? Desperate for this feature to be implemented. In heavily traffic’d areas it’s really crucial to have the first frame.

@RedCab wrote:

Arlo Pro is motion sensitive so first frame of video includes first motion.

The thumbnail used in the library appears to be 3 seconds into the video.

In many cases (cars) the object in motion is already out of frame by the time the thumbnail is picked so most thumbnails don't contain any identifying objects.

Idea: make the thumbnail selection a setting like x seconds into the video. (Or just make it 1 sec so we can see the motion that tripped the motion sensor).

Thank you for consideration.

pmcneil18
Star

Sometimes I just want to check in on my dogs to see if they're sleeping, window watching, etc. I'd like if there was a way to get a quick "snapshot" of what's happening. Right now the devices "dashboard" shows a still frame of the last recorded motion on all camera. On cameras I don't have set to record, ever, (my interior cams) it shows the last frame from the last time I viewed the live stream. So, to get a "snapshot" of what's happening, I have to live view, wait for it to load, see what's happening, then close the stream. 

I'd like if there was a shortcut button or preferrably a setting for a camera (all cameras? select cameras?) to refresh and show a live still frame on the dashboard. Either by press of the button to simply update the preview, or, a setting toggle to refresh the camera preview on page refresh or at a given interval (0-60 min)

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Spillikin
Aspirant

Couldn’t agree more, I was just about to post this suggestion until I found this. Seems like something that could be implemented fairly easily too...?

Nathanstl
Fledgling

The thumbnails are routinely 2-3 days old when I pull up the main screen. Ring has a great solution to this that allows a quick refresh when you pull up the main screen that just grabs a thumbnail quickly and refreshes. Anyway this can be done? The only thing my wife and I don’t like about these cameras is this. We prefer a live view whenever you pull the app up, but I understand with these being battery powered that’s impossible. This would be a good compromise. Maybe a setting with a warning that this may lower battery life?

Nathanstl
Fledgling

Ring does this. Very important feature. Will lower battery life, but no more than making us load a live stream every time we just want to see a refreshed screenshot. Auto refresh every time the dashboard is pulled up! At least an option in settings with a warning this may affect battery life. It only would grab the low resolution thumbnails when the app is loaded. I think with rich notifications you may have this functionality already baked in. Give it to the dashboard please. 

Dunndeal3
Guide

Even if it didn't happen automatically as it does on ring, having the option to grab a quick snapshot ourselves would be great. Blink cameras have this option now, now where you can click a button and grab a quick snapshot of what the camera see's at that moment without having to go into live camera mode. Currently with Arlo, you have to click live stream and then stop, and eventually, the thumbnail will update.

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

A scheduled snapshot would be great and others have posted many good reasons why. In my case I just put down new sod in my yard and I'd like to schedule a snapshot at noon every day so I can see how the grass is doing with a months worth of time lapse snapshots.

DOTTAT
Apprentice

Why is there not an option to force a preview update when entering the app?  Every other camera system i've used has had this.  It's very weird to open a live cam system app and see "3 days ago" listed as the last preview image.  Why not add a toggle to enable the app grab a fresh preview when opened?

I'm not talking a live rolling video preview.. just grab a relevant screenshot!  Would help me determine if I really need to drill into a single camera for a live video stream.