Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

iOS Do Not Disturb Bypass

Like most people, I use the iPhone's Do-Not_Disturb at night so I don't get notifications from the 30+ apps I have installed on my phone.  But I need to be able to receive notifications from Arlo if one of my cameras is triggered.  Either design the app to notify above the iOS DND, or design a new notification system that uses phone call or text message (like most stores use now for sales and coupons).  

Thank you!

Comments
zradams1
Fledgling

RING recently announced functionality that allows their notifications to be pushed even if your device is in Do Not Disturb (DnD).  This is a must to have to ensure we are getting notified of motion detected by the cameras even while sleeping, when one would have their device in DnD. This is especially useful for the Arlo Baby.  If our baby wakes up in the middle of the night, I need to be notified so I can be sure to go and take care of them.  

BenJones
Novice
Dear Sir / Madam,

Are you able to please ask your technical department if they can add in a feature to the IPhone App? When sleeping at night I put my phone into silent mode. It would be really good though if there was a feature to make the phone sound if the Arlo detects motion even when my phone is in silent. This feature could be switched on or off depending on user preference. As it stands I cannot initiate sound for a motion detection alert when my phone is in silent mode. This feature would be great, is it possible for you to please add this to a future App update?
Thanks, Ben
Berend
Fledgling

Not something like a wish, it’s a must. Big disappointment not having such an option. Burglars robbing your stuff while you’re asleep. Finding this the next morning on your cameras. With this “failures” no insurance will take this product serious, I’m afraid. 

40mil40
Aspirant

Hello Arlo, please listen to these comments. Receiving alerts while on Do Not Disturb is a MUST! Please respond and let us know whether this critical feature is forthcoming!!!

Embeeous
Star

I'm requesting an update to a thread posted by Daniel0319 on 6/27/18 regarding the ability to setup Arlo notifications to an iOS device during its Do Not Disturb period:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Solution-to-night-alerts-iOS-Bypass-Do-Not-Disturb-AND-30-sec...

That thread is closed to questions, comments, etc. so I'm reviving it here. It's been two years plus since the last post on the subject, but this is still a major issue for me and might be for others.  Moreover, using the OP's process, I can't even get past step 1 accessing and modifying Email Alerts as an Arlo administrator, I cannot find any place on any device accessing Arlo to do any of that.  So I'm basically stuck on Step 1, but once I get past that I should be OK.

Has anyone set this up recently that can help walk me through Step One?  I would really appreciate it, thanks. 

Embeeous
Star

Never mind, I found it....this is the missing piece, from here I can do it. 

https://kb.arlo.com/2613/How-can-I-receive-text-notifications-from-my-Arlo-system-instead-of-email-n...

Embeeous
Star

So now I’ve got it all set up and it’s working fine, except for one issue...

The text that I receive from Arlo is a long one, with a heading that tells me “Motion Detected on X” and then a lot of gibberish, a LOT. As part of this setup process, I received an email originally as a test before I changed over to texts, and that email has a snapshot of the video captured, a link to my recordings library, etc. lots of info links and graphics.. I’m guessing that the text is an SMS rendering to the best of its abilities of these HTML rich email messages from Arlo. So, my question should be obvious - any way to receive that text message from Arlo in a short and sweet heading of “Motion Detected” only, or at least a more SMS friendly formatted text message?

Embeeous
Star

Update - I could not get this to work.  Sure, it sends me texts but during the Do Not Disturb period it did NOT chime ring produce text tone or anything, it was silent.  So this is useless to me.  My only observation is that ATT wireless generates a bogus number that the message is coming from, with a unique number every time (i.e. 1410000308, 1410000309, etc.), so I'm guessing that unless I was able to somehow set up the incoming numbers that the texts are originating from as Favorites with Emergency Bypass priveleges, this isn't going to work.  And since those numbers are dynamic, there's no way to actually get this to work.  Again, I read reread and followed the directions from the OP to the letter.  I have a contact called Arlo Alerts with the email alerts@arlo.com, number as my cell number xxx-xxx-xxxx and set up as a Favorite with Emergency Bypass On.  Unfortunately, it just doesn't make any sound during the Do Not Disturb period, so unless I'm missing something or made a mistake here, this is useless to me personally and I'm giving up.  If anyone has any other thoughts on this, please let me know, thanks. 

lukedevlin
Initiate

A couple of important apps we use to manage rental properties have the "Critical Alerts" function which bypasses the Do Not Disturb function and alerts us of any issues at the properties. Arlo does not have this ability. Is this being worked on?

JenT
Novice

It would be helpful if Arlo could create a work around so that when motion is detected at my front door  that a notification could be sent while I'm sleeping with my Do Not Disturb on (iPhone 11).    

I have seen the work arounds suggested previously to have email notifications sent via email to SMS.  However, when I set that up, my wireless company sends me a text message from an numeric number that changes with each notification.  As such, I cannot program that phone number into my contact list to bypass the DND.  

This would be an important feature as I would like to be woken up if there is someone at my door in the middle of the night.