Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
clwood
Tutor

Looks like my hub finally updated and one of the cameras. For some reason two of them didn't and I just told them to manually update.

Motion recording until an event stops seems to finally be working for me now, YAY!

sirgalant
Initiate

Thanks for implementing this idea regarding motion activation that continues recording until motion stops. I have 3 arlo pro cameras and have been testing this option a lot recently. When I go out of the field of view of the camera, the camera continues recording for about 9-10 seconds. Let's call this important concept the "end of motion delay". I would love this to be adjustable, using a slider bar, from 10 seconds all the way up to 120 seconds. What that means is, if the bad guy, or UPS truck guy, triggers my camera, and then moves out of the field of view for a few seconds, the camera will keep recording for an adjustable time of upto 120 seconds, but if the person moves back into the field of view, it smoothly continues recording due to motion activation, resetting the end of motion delay back to zero and starting the 120 second counter again, without stopping the old recording (losing vitally important video) and starting a new recording with 3-8 seconds lost in between recordings. That way, we can get to see the bad guy or the UPS guy doing his entire thing, even if he moves out of the field of view of the camera momentarily! This is vitally important. You see, bad guys and UPS guys do not move around just in the field of view of your camera! Get it? This slight modification to your sofware will make this good idea (recording until motion stops) an even better idea (adjustable end of motion delay)! Thanks for tweaking it to be better! I am fully aware of the fact that there is an adjustable slider for 120 seconds that is triggered by an initial motion. The problem is that the 120 second counter does not reset to zero if a subsequent motion re-triggers it. I want to be able to continuously record video even if the triggering event only happens once every 2 minutes. This way, we would not miss out on VITAL video of the bad guy actually breaking your window, after he went out of field of view for 10 seconds, or the UPS truck guy dropping your precious package on the sidewalk, after he went around to the back of his truck and out of field of view of the camera, which stopped the recording in the current configuration. I know, I am an engineering geek, but it will take an engineering geek, at arlo, to read this, understand what the issue is, and implement the solution. It is extremely easy to implement. The basic algorithm is already in place. It just needs a little fine tuning. I love this product enough, to care enough, to give you this geeky feedback! Thanks for making it happen in a future version of software... maybe? 🙂

jitesh_88
Fledgling
When can we expect an update for Arlo wire free camera to include the motion detection feature?
Watch1out
Novice
Yes!!!!! Same thing here. I wish that somehownafter it started detecting motion it could backtrack 5 seconds and start its recording there. But this would mean it would have to be "watching" continuously and that would drain the battery. By there's nothing more annoying than always seeing the back of someone who's leaving the porch every time, or the tail end of some important clip. And then when I set it for "record until motion stops" it always just records 16 seconds. You end up with a million 16 second clips. I changed it to "record for set length" and put it at 120 seconds which does capture the majority of what else happens once recording starts. But then if a bird lands and wiggles its head and takes off, it will continue recording for 2 minutes because of my setting. It seems like I just can't win. And it should be something simple to fix like a firmware update to the base unit or an app update. C'mon guys at Netgear...people are really relying on you to make this work right.
The1unv
Novice
Wish I had read all of this before I bought this system. Still the same issue with motion detection after and its 2017 for such an expensive system, I'm probably returning this if I can't tweak the settings, I think all the high ratings are fake cause this issue is too big to make it a real security system.
sbos
Tutor

When will this be released for Arlo Go?

Masterkev
Novice

Agreed! 

Please correct this issue. Or we will have to sell our system and replace it with something that is capable of continuous recording. We could care less about how many times we need to charge or replace the batteries. We want footage of the issue. 

Thank you

Kevin Anderson, Dallas TX.

NowakerTmp
Star

To all the folks asking for continuous recording: stop being unreasonable. Seriously. That would require replacing a battery every 12 hours, if not even less. If you're looking for continuous recording, buy a professional wired system that runs on PoE. Arlo is great for being wireless.

sbos
Tutor

To all the folks asking for continuous recording: stop being unreasonable. Seriously. That would require replacing a battery every 12 hours, if not even less. 

Thanks for sharing your unsolicited opinion.  Seriously. Since many are asking for a feature that is ALREADY available on SOME cameras, but not others, this is not an unreasonable request.  Additionally, you might note that the Arlo Go now has a solar panel, which I have purchased. Battery life is not a concern of mine. However, in the woods, at the gate to our 300-acre farm, PoE is not an option.  Lastly, if this is just one more OPTION in the recording settings, it makes no sense that you would care one way or the other. Don't like it? Hey!!!!! Don't use it....

msazone
Luminary

This feature for original Arlo has been mentioned for a long time and the function has never been introuduced.