Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
ColinV
Aspirant

bmercer,

Your threat must have worked.  

I logged into my Arlo Pro mode settings and noticed that under the Record Video option, it now lists a "Record until activity stops (up to 300 sec)" option.  I've tested this out and it works.  It looks like theres a make/break time of about 4 seconds. Not sure if this is available for the Arlo as well, but it matches on the Android app (v2.3.2_16308) as well.

Looks like it was released March 3th:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Pro-Camera-Arlo-Pro-Base-...

Release Type: Minor Release

Release Notes – Arlo Pro Camera, Arlo Pro Base, Arlo Wire-Free Base 29th March 2017.JPG

Details:

Pro Camera FW 1.092.0.1_11504, Pro Base Station FW 1.8.9.0_11528, Wire-free Base Station FW 1.8.8.0_11528

• PIR false trigger bug fix
  • Stop on Activity Stop Feature for Arlo Pro
  • Security upgrades
  • bug fixes
efranco86
Fledgling

This is a huge improvement. The user should be able to define the max record time for the on-motion record until motion stop setting, or there should be multiple maximum options.

One issue perhaps is that a camera could be disabled before it uploads. If there is local storage, will Arlo Pro pull from the local storage (i.e. there was a 5 minute clip, camera is taken offline by vandals in the middle, the local storage at the base uploads the clip)?

T9001
Star
Why hasn't this been released for Arlo?
clwood
Tutor

I just updated all the rules on my Arlo Pro Wire-free camers to "record until activity stops". It doesn't seem to be working. It is still only recording 10 seconds. Any ideas? I tried switching modes. I'll try restarting the base station next.

SurrealOne
Onlooker

I had to do a complete reset and it started working. Thank you netgrear.

clwood
Tutor

It seems my firmware might be one or two minor releases old, but the manual firware update instructions aren't helping. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-update-my-Arlo-firmware-manually/ta-p/...

I don't have an update button either on the android app nor website.

Edit: My iPad does, but it says no updates available.

REJ13
Novice

Totally agree.

JamesC
Community Manager

clwood,

Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds? Poor internet speeds can sometimes cause issues with the firmware update.

JamesC

clwood
Tutor
Comcast, I think it is close to 100 down and 6 up, so shouldn't be an issue.
clwood
Tutor

What is funny is I often have a push notification from Arlo on my phone saying "You are not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection." but then I open the Arlo app and can live stream video from the cameras with no issue. Thought it was just a bug but maye not? I don't have issues with any other services and my internet connection.