Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Add camera name to subject line mail notifications

Like the VueZone system, either be able to customize the subject line of email notifications or at least add the camera name to the alert subject so it is seen quickly on the phone and you don't have to open the email.

For me, some camera alerts are expected because of my dog (food bowl), but others could be intruders (garage) and more urgent to check in on.

Comments
ted809
Novice

Is there a way to change the email message subject line from "Arlo has just detected motion" to identify the camera it identified motion from? VueZone does this, for example "garage camera view" can be set up in the camera prefernces....

TomMac
Guru

No... the "Arlo has just detected motion"  in the email addres is pre-canned.

But you can send ( what I do ) yourself a normal email AND a text message.Just add the phone number as your second email address.

( use format listed here;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Using-text-messg-instead-of-email-for-notificat... )

With the SMS/Text messg it's easier to read quickly and the camera in question is listed right there.

DanielT
Arlo Employee Retired

ted809 wrote:

Is there a way to change the email message subject line from "Arlo has just detected motion" to identify the camera it identified motion from? VueZone does this, for example "garage camera view" can be set up in the camera prefernces....

ted809,

I'll enter an enhancement suggestion on your behalf. Thanks for wanting to improve Arlo!

DanielT

Netgear Arlo Customer Support

ted809
Novice

That worked, thanks. Still would be nice to change the message in the email...maybe an enhancement some day.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Also, plain text format only e-mails too!

Vero
Tutor

The notification message is also way too verbose.

When email is sent to a phone#@tmomail.net for example as a text, it takes far more than 140 chars.

This eats up message allowances fast, and costs a lot if you happen to be in Mexico say when you get it.

citizen30
Novice

Yes, I agree!   As a recently-migrated Vuezone user, I really miss this feature in Arlo!   All notifications' subject lines are generic: "Arlo Has Just Detected Motion" whereas Vuezone alerts  "FRONT DOOR [or whatever you've named camera] MOTION" which is very helpful with many cameras, and also expected vs. unusual based on timing/location.   Thanks!!

SKhandu
Initiate

Not all camera's (depending on the time) are as important to review the alert and right now I dont have a way to differentiate the email and have to look at each one. I'd like to be able to get the camera name in the subject line of the email.

This could be an option switched on by default or with an user selection.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented