Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Top Contributors

Wireless Channel config manual override

Please, could you add an "Advanced settings" link somewhere under Settings,

by which we can set the wireless channel of the base station, and perhaps even more details regarding its WiFi behavior?

I have serious issues with the extremely busy 2.4 GHz band in my neighborhood (city). The only way *all* my arlo cameras will reach the base well is when I have it at channel 13 and it stays there. But it never seems to do so.

Yes, I take full responsibility for the distortion or interference that could cause, because I know to set my routers at channel 9 or lower (with the Base at 13).

63 Comments
Fledgling

Same problem here.  It seems absolutely asinine the Arlo base would look for the strongest competing network and then select the same channel.  I'm baffled that a company who's primary business is networking would make this mistake in the first place, plus fail to remedy in any sort of a timely fashion.

Insane.

Fledgling
Same issue here - I upgraded my internet to help and it just sucks my wifi into the abyss.

Please change and make Arlo channel configurable on a software update soon.
Fledgling

When Arlo selects a wifi channel by itself my system will not work. I have to set all my three APs to the same channel, let my arlo follow them and then switch wifi channels on all my APs every reboot! An advanced setting "wifi channel" would solve this.

This is a necessity for a wireless product streaming data with its own base station.

Seems ridiculous to NOT have this feature.

Aspirant

This is crazy. Arlo Pro had destroyed the reliability of my wifi system. Make the freaking channel configurable! 

Fledgling

I had the same issue with Arlo wiping out my home wifi network and running thru multiple Arlo support interactions they finally came up with something that worked for me.  It was a relief to know I hadn't wasted all that money.

the solution was to turn off QoS (Quality of Service) in the router/modem settings that had default priority on media/streaming.  Sucks to be forced to disable new router config options, but it works and my mind is at peace!

Apprentice

Turning off QOS is the worst suggestion yet.  Netgear should be ashamed.

Number 2...qos has nothing to do with the fact that arlo still uses the now outdated 2.4ghz band with limited channels, and it selecting the same as your homes network, hence dramatically slowing it down.

The only solution for our household was to have all other network equipment including TVs, tablets, computers, etc...use the 5ghz band...and 2.4ghz for arlo and potential vistors with outdated equipment that would still need 2.4ghz to connect.

Onlooker

*edit*  Pet and I responded about the same time with similar info.

Sorry Modge, I am not following at all.  How would a router based QoS setting have ANYTHING to do with the WLAN channel assignment on a completely seperate hardware components (Arlo unit)?

And honestly the "QoS" on most home routers is just junk / marketing BS anyway.  It isn't actually QoS, it just throttles certain ports / protocols, which contrary to the uneducated is not at all the point of QoS or how it is suppose to work.

As well, I have an advanced home network (10g fiber/copper, Cisco ASA's, 3 AP's running 3 radios each, etc) with zero QoS enabled and my Arlo still follows the closest 2.4 signal and stomps on it.

Fledgling

All I'm saying is turning off QoS worked for me.  

Previously i I battled the channel hijacking issue by setting up a dummy router on a different channel for Arlo to hijack - in between Arlo and my real router.  It worked for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to relocate my setup into my home office and spacing wouldn't work - I turned off the QoS per their recommendation and it stopped killing my wifi network - I have 9-12 devices accessing my wifi at any given time.